News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 different phone numbers in 2 locations with 1 Obi110?

Started by walenta, May 10, 2015, 12:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walenta

Hi, I am going back and forth between 2 houses
have Obi110 setup in one house with Phonepower and new local phone number - works great!

now in second house , still have a landline I barely use, but some folks Dr, School etc know the number, so I am thinking to add a 2nd service to my Obi110 - thinking of Ring2 - it looks as I have a second SP2 slot available on Obi device ....

it means that I have to take the Obi110 with me all the time as I go back and forth between houses... which is fine....

will this setup work?
does it then mean that both Phonepower and Ring2 lines are active all the time with Obi?
on the ring2 tutorial - it mentioned that Obi purchase must be after May1 .. mine was last September... ??

any ideas welcome on how best to keep my other number around

drgeoff

Once correctly configured,  your OBi110 will have both the Phonepower and Ring.to numbers operational anywhere it can get an internet connection. In addition it can be configured to make and receive calls on the POTS line at the second house.

You may also consider obtaining a second OBi device. Apart from saving the inconvenience of having to move the 110 you can configure the two units such that you can answer and make calls on the POTS number when in either house. (The second OBi does not need to be a 110.)

rolandh

A point of information. As pairing RingTo with an OBi requires purchase of associated E911 service from Anveo, 2 open SP slots are necessary. Since the 110 has only two slots and Phonepower is already provisioned to one, this solution may not work.

walenta

DRGEOFF

do you agree with ROLANDH? .. that my setup wit only  SPS may not work.....???????

A point of information. As pairing RingTo with an OBi requires purchase of associated E911 service from Anveo, 2 open SP slots are necessary. Since the 110 has only two slots and Phonepower is already provisioned to one, this solution may not work.

walenta

.. actually need another clarification...

you mention that I can still use my POTS line....
actually the whole intent is getting rid of it.... I wanted to keep the number, port if over to RING.to and then cancel the landline....

will that work?

SteveInWA

If ring.to requires that the OBi also have Anveo's E911, even when you (I assume) already have E911 service with Phonepower, then that's a bad choice of service providers.  Just port the landline (POTS) number to a different ITSP (not ring.to), like Callcentric or Voip.ms. or, for that matter, to Phonepower, that also offers E911 service.

rolandh

To clarify, I said may not work because the posibility of using a second OBi, not necessarily a 110 was mentioned. Since Phonepower, RingTo and Anveo E911 on a single device would require the use of three SP slots that combination will definitively not work on the 110.

Additionally, RingTo requires E911 be on the device, however, my understanding is that Obihai made the arrangement that requires that Anveo be the provider of that service.

SteveInWA

Quote from: rolandh on May 11, 2015, 06:35:27 PM
To clarify, I said may not work because the posibility of using a second OBi, not necessarily a 110 was mentioned. Since Phonepower, RingTo and Anveo E911 on a single device would require the use of three SP slots that combination will definitively not work on the 110.

Additionally, RingTo requires E911 be on the device, however, my understanding is that Obihai made the arrangement that requires that Anveo be the provider of that service.

I get the impression from your posting history that you're a ring.to evangelist.  That's fine, but I try to be vendor/provider neutral, and look for the solution(s) that have the best match to the user's needs, considering cost, benefit and risk.  In this scenario, there is not a compelling case to add another service provider (ring.to).

rolandh

Steve, you baffle me.

It was the OP, not me, who made reference to adding RingTo. Nowhere did I suggest he do so. In fact, because of the need to dedicate two SP slots in addition to the slot already dedicated to Phonepower, I advised that his idea of adding RingTo as a second provider wouldn't work. How, exactly, is that being an evangelist? If you're confused by my reference to a second OBi that was originally mentioned by drgeoff, again, not me.

My impression is that you should read the entire thread before dragging another user's posting history into a critique of a specific post. For the record, I like and use RingTo, as much for their mobile apps as for use on my OBi. I also have paid accounts with Anveo, Callcentric, CallWithUs, CircleNet! and Future-Nine. I like and use those providers as well.

Cheers! Roland

walenta

thanks Roland, Steve

appreciate any constructive feedback....   I only looked at ring.to as it seemed the cheapest to keep my old phone number...  and yes as I have Obi110, having only 2 slots (and already phonepower on one of them) is a limitations - so thanks for pointing it out..... since OBI has only a few providers, I will have to look at other ones... maybe add another phonepower line...

Rick

I would think that porting to GV for $20 would be the cheapest way to keep your old number.  You can then forward it anywhere you want to. 

rolandh

If call forwarding would work for the OP then RingTo would be cheaper than Google Voice. There is no E911 requirement with RingTo to use call forwarding, only if one wishes to provision RingTo to an OBi. RingTo ports numbers including landlines for free. With GV in addition to Google's $20 port in fee, there are the costs associated with first moving the landline to a prepaid mobile carrier as Google Voice does not port landlines.