News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

here is how to set up free 3cx softphone

Started by MrBi11, February 25, 2013, 08:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBi11

I'm always posting questions, here is an answer for a change.
I hate the x-lite free phone because of the blinking ad and it looks like a kid did it. Obiapp says it works with any sip softphone, but doesn't say how to set up.

Download free phone software here:
http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/voip-phone/
It looks like:
http://www.3cx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/3CXPhone-Windows.jpg

tried to attach screen shots but it says its full

You need your 9 digit obi# for the computer the softphone & obiapp are on.

On new account page (manual set up)
Account name - obiapp or whatever, its for you
caller id - your public phone # , like 888 555 5555

extension and id are BOTH your 9 digit # like 290xxxxxxx
password blank
check "local-ip" the default, and put in 127.0.0.1
check use outbound proxy, and also put 127.0.0.1

thats it. No port numbers or undecipherable acronyms or codes.
Connected first time, worked first time.

Consider 3cx if you need a business solution!
They deserve something for giving away free softphones!
no i dont work for 3cx in any way.
its just a real phone app, instead of x-lites poor excuse.

happy softphone-ing

MrBi11

3cx set up was very simple and worked first time.

I did have a gotcha on incoming calls, the 3cx was set to deny all calls "dnd"
displayed white letters above line5 button. Make sure that says "available".
Otherwise it does not ring and the call goes to the missed call list.

Otherwise it was super simple and worked first time.

sunmercury

I just tried to install 3cx following your instruction, but the 3cx account config has changed:

1. There is no outbound proxy, but instead "Out of office". I tried to select that and put 127.0.0.1 anyway

However, the app just keeps saying "registration failed: 407"

What did I do wrong ? Do I need to install 3cx phone system or just 3cx PC soft client ?

Any help is appreciated.

ianobi

sunmercury,

Select "I am in the office - local IP" and put 127.0.0.1 there.

Check "Use Outbound Proxy Server". This is towards the bottom of the settings page. Put 127.0.0.1 there.

sunmercury

Thanks for responding. It seems like 3cx now requires me to install the whole "3CX Phone System 12 setup" to be up and running. I believe my registration fails because I just installed the soft client. Now I am looking for an older/simpler version iof 3cx or another soft phone. Any recommendation or pointer would be great.

Thanks again.

ianobi

You do need to be running OBiAPP on your pc before you start the 3CX phone.

If I hit the "About" button on my 3CX phone I see:
3CXPhone ver. 6.0.26523.0

I also use PhonerLite mainly for testing as it has a good debugging function. It's a bit clunky, but works fine. Others have recommended Jitsi, but I have not had much success with that.

Any soft phone client needs OBiAPP to be running on the pc before it starts up.

sunmercury

Thanks, ianobi. Of course I have ObiApp running on my PC. I cannot locate 3CXPhone ver. 6 anywhere. All the link seems to point to 3cxphone website, which only have their newest version (12) 3cx phone system. Version 12 seems to be overkill and too complicate for me (it asked me to setup PBX extension and more during startup). I tried to install the soft client only, but even though I can enter all the local IP & outbound proxy server, it still won't register. Checking 3cx website seems to indicate that 3cx phone system is required.

I probably abandon this attempt as I found out I can make call from the new google hangout easier and beyond May 15th :-)

Still thanks for your nice reply.

dircom

I installed obion for pc and 3cx softphone [ver 6.0.26523.0] a couple of years ago on a laptop running windows 8.
It worked fine.

A year or two later, I decided to test it, and see if it still works ok.
[It did not work at all, at first.. but then I realized I no longer had the original Obi 110 connected, and found the drop down box in Obitalk, that let me choose which Obi gateway I wanted to use]

I can only receive calls on the laptop from my obi network.

When I dial out on the softphone, I get a busy signal.
3cx debug shows
Video calls not allowed
Destination is busy

(video source is set to -none in preferences)

any ideas?

azrobert

The OBion app is no longer supported.
It's not even available for download.
I have a copy of OBion, Ver 1.1.0(1848) and installed it on a Windows 7 machine with the Phonerlite softphone.
I got the opposite result.
I was able to call my OBi200 from OBion, but calls failed from the OBi200 to OBion.
I also tried to call it from my OBi110 and it failed.

If you have an OBi2xx, you can register the 3cx softphone directly to the OBi.
You would need a free SP trunk.
Otherwise, you can use a softphone that can call without registration, like the Phonerlite softphone.

dmpayne1957

i can make outbound calls on my 3cx...but it does not ring on in-bound calls - is there a way to get the 3cx to answer in-bound calls?

ianobi

Presently, I have OBiON working with both Phonerlite and 3CX incoming and outgoing on my pc running Windows 7. To get Phonerlite working I had to change this OBiON setting:

OBiAPP Advanced Tag > SIP Domain or Local Proxy Address > IP Address: use actual IP address, not "Default".

Looking at the Phonerlite Debug, this seems to fix a parsing error in the first line of the "INVITE" message. I really don't know why!

There are a lot of variables involved here, so the above is definitely not a guaranteed fix, but it does work for me.