News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New unit - GV quality issues

Started by Mosleyh, June 06, 2011, 01:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mosleyh

I just received and configured my unit and am having a very annoying problem.

The unit is connected to a belkin wireless pre-n  MIMO wireless router which is connected to a motorola cable modem. I get a dial tone, and can place outgoing calls. The problem occurs when the call connects.

The audio "breathes". By that I mean that it cuts in and out regularly at roughly 1/2 to 3/4 second intervals. This obviously makes it unusable for voice calls. I don't think it's the phone, because the dialing and ringing audio is clear.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

RonR

The first thing I'd do is connect the OBi directly to the cable modem and see if the problem goes away.  If it doesn't, you've eliminated the router a possible suspect.

I'd also ping Google Voice (74.125.157.125) and see how many packets are lost out of 100.

Mosleyh

I'm showing 0% packet loss when I ping GV through the router, but the unit doesn't seem to like being connected directly to the modem it doesn't sync up.

RonR

Did you reboot both the modem and the OBi after making the connection?

RonR

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware in the OBi : 1.2.1 (Build: 2289)

Mosleyh

It turns out that I just wasn't waiting long enough for it to sync with the modem. It IS the router >:( . I guess it's time to go router shopping. I wish the recommended routers list had a few more entries - I need gigabit but am not a fan of d-link.

Thanks for the help!

jimates

the reason the d-links are listed is because in the beginning there were problems with d-link routers and not others.