News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bandwidth control question

Started by jtan, May 15, 2015, 10:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtan

My connection

ISP modem ---> TP-Link TL-WDR4300 ---> OBi200
                                                         --> PC

When there is internet activity such downloading, streaming etc my Qos deteriorate.

So I allocated to static IP

Egress / Ingress Bandwidth (Kbps)
min 200
max 512

Is that sufficient for Voip (FreePhoneLine and GV) ?

Please advice,

thanks

OzarkEdge

Bandwidth consumption depends on the traffic profile... transport protocol, VoIP codec, and voice payload in time.

You can Google and read about it.  Here's one link:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/7934-bwidth-consume.html

Generally speaking, a VoIP call does not require much bandwidth.  Call it 87Kbps max or less... some suggest 128Kbps.  It just needs to be there when you need it.

It should be easy to confirm what you are setting... just try it.

OE

jtan

I have tried two different router TP-Link TL-WDR4300 and Dlink DIR-850L and still have problem hearing the other party when we speak together.   It is as if I need to say over before the other person speak or else I will miss the beginning part of the conversation.   But the caller can hear me perfectly even when we speak together at the same time.

Is there anything I need to tweak in Obi200 ?

Thanks

sailing

You didn't say what your normal bandwidth is and I don't know how you determined the numbers in your photo. Anyway, here is the procedure to use with qos.

If you are running DSL with 3mb or less, you could have a qos problem depending on how much bandwidth your other computers are using. The qos is set in the router. The first thing to do is assign a fixed address to the obi. Then run a bandwidth test without any other activity using bandwidth. The upload and download speeds will be used to put into the routers qos tab.

By doing this, the router will give priority to the Obi.

drgeoff

jtan

@drgeoff

Thanks that works.

jtan

@sailing

My normal bandwidth without any activities (streaming, downloading etc.) is average at
35.29 Mbps downloading
2.73 Mbps uploading
base on speedtest

Here is my configuration snapshot on TP-Link TL-WDR4300 firmware DD-WRT  r25697.