News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

porting question

Started by kaniki, June 02, 2015, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaniki

Ok, i got the obi 202 device, got it set up and working with GV too and all is working good. Then I started looking into the things I need to know about porting a number, and found this info "Corporate, landline, and VoIP numbers can't be transferred." What I wanted to keep was my phone number, which used to be a POTS number, then got transferred to a VOIP service... Phone Power... Now, I was thinking about signing up for phone power too, to work along side GV, so my question is, is there a way to keep my old phone number, or is it impossible? I dont want to give up my old number because it is the one that everyone has. We have had that number since 1990, but I also dont want to have to pay an extra $150 a year and keep my old VOIP service, just to keep that number either. about the only way I can think of that this may work, is to get a cell phone, have my home phone number ported to the cell, and then  have it ported again to google, which kind of sounds like a pain. But I did not know if anyone knew if anything could be done with me going to sign up with PP too. Any help would be appreciated.

kaniki

unless you have something to add, I just found my answer. I called up to phone power by chance, and they told me that if I sign up for phone power, then send them an email, I can have my number transferred from my old regular VOIP plan, to my obi new plan, and they will cancel my old plan at the same time that they port the number. here will just be a $15 porting fee. So evidently, phone power can transfer their VOIP number to themselves under an obi plan, I just can not transfer it to GV.

To simplify, sign up for PP, then after signed up, write them an email to have them transfer my number from them to the new obi plan, and have them cancel out my old plan.

Since they said something about me having to get a new number, I am guessing that once I sign up for PP, they use their own number and dont port the GV number.. they keep them separate from what I have heard. That is what I am guessing at least. I just wanted to give the info I found out so far, just in case someone else asks or wants to know.