News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Does GV Know What To Dial?

Started by Talker, May 24, 2015, 09:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talker

My Google Voice has a 708 area code and I live in the 870 area code which I placed in my Obi 110 7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN configuration  spot.  When I had VOIP service directly from the local cable company with a 870 area code I would have to dial 1-870 first for some numbers that would be considered a long distance call even with the same area code of 870. If I dialed 1-870 on a call that was NOT considered  long distance I would get the message not to dial 1-870.
Now with Google Voice  and Obi110 I can call all 870 numbers local and long distance without the 870 prefix and if I dial 1-870 on a local call it goes thru. Is GV completing the call as needed without the area code for the long distance calls that are 870? Or is there something else going on?

SteveInWA

All VoIP service providers require 10-digit or 11-digit dialing.  "Long distance" is meaningless, as there is no difference in cost when calling the house next door, or across the country.  Just get in the habit of dialing all the digits and don't worry about it...

azrobert

When you use an OBiTalk wizard to setup a trunk and you supply an area code for 7 digit dialing, OBiTalk will add a rule to the configuration to prepend the area code to a 7 digit number.

Assuming GV is defined on SP1.
Enter OBi Expert.
Go to:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A General -> DigitMap
Uncheck both boxes to the right of the Value.
Now look at the DigitMap Value.
You should find a rule like: <1870>xxxxxxx
This rule will prepend "1870" to a 7 digit number.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on May 24, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
When you use an OBiTalk wizard to setup a trunk and you supply an area code for 7 digit dialing, OBiTalk will add a rule to the configuration to prepend the area code to a 7 digit number.

Assuming GV is defined on SP1.
Enter OBi Expert.
Go to:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A General -> DigitMap
Uncheck both boxes to the right of the Value.
Now look at the DigitMap Value.
You should find a rule like: <1870>xxxxxxx
This rule will prepend "1870" to a 7 digit number.

There's no need to go into OBi expert mode.  The (optional) setting is right on the basic portal page for configuring a service provider (SP) -- see the attached screenshot.

The OP enabled this feature during setup.  So, as you point out, GV is adding the area code if only 7 digits are "dialed" by the user.  I should have explained that is the reason that GV seemingly doesn't care about the area code -- it does, and the OBi digit map is now adding it when dialing 7 digits, and not adding it when the caller dials 10 or 11 digits.  My point was, in this user's case, it doesn't matter whether or not the call is "long distance" from the old POTS industry viewpoint, all calls need to be sent to the service provider with 10 or 11 digits.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 24, 2015, 03:27:58 PM
There's no need to go into OBi expert mode.  The (optional) setting is right on the basic portal page for configuring a service provider (SP) -- see the attached screenshot.

I know you don't need to enter OBi expert to make this change. The OP also knows, because he made the change and it's working. He just wanted to know why it's working. I told the OP to enter OBi Expert because I thought he might be interested to see the rule that the wizard added. I did not tell him to make any changes via OBi Expert.