News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tiny VoiceMail Issue

Started by ceg3, May 21, 2015, 06:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

Occasionally, I get a phone message that is left in my GV voicemail box, completely skipping my stand alone answering machine.  My machine answers after 4 rings and that usually means it takes the call.  The only thing I can figure is that for some reason GV answers the call before the 4th ring.  I return home and see that someone has called and then when I boot up a PC I see I have a voicemail.  This is a very minor issue, but I am not aware of any control for number of rings before GV picks up.  This might be limited to the same caller or two, now that I think about it.

OzarkEdge

Perhaps any network issue could cause GV to failover to voicemail, no matter the ring setting.

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: ceg3 on May 21, 2015, 06:16:57 AM
Occasionally, I get a phone message that is left in my GV voicemail box, completely skipping my stand alone answering machine.  My machine answers after 4 rings and that usually means it takes the call.  The only thing I can figure is that for some reason GV answers the call before the 4th ring.  I return home and see that someone has called and then when I boot up a PC I see I have a voicemail.  This is a very minor issue, but I am not aware of any control for number of rings before GV picks up.  This might be limited to the same caller or two, now that I think about it.

Is your intent to use only your answering machine, and not Google Voice's voicemail system?  Keep in mind that VM is a fundamental design feature of GV, and it can't be disabled.  GV forwards calls to its VM system after approximately 25 seconds.  This period is not adjustable.  It can vary slightly, based on the time it takes for various telephone carriers to connect calls.

If you don't want to use GV VM, then your own answering system needs to answer calls before 25 seconds of elapsed time.  4 rings is too long.  Try 3 rings.   Also, note that this setup will still result in calls going to GV VM if your forwarding line is busy (on a call) or out of service.

Rick

The issue is in timing - specifically that GV starts counting when it senses the call, and your answering machine starts counting when it gets the first ring.  If that first ring is delayed in coming through (say it ain't so Google), then the GV 25 second timer has a head start.

Although it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Steve on this  :o.  Turn off your answering machine completely and let GV get all your messages.  You can then have it alert you to a message via email, with the "transcribed" message text in the email, and can then access the message from that email anywhere you are - or log in and access it.  And easily see who it is from.

I've been called "return" despite a clear message that said "Richard"...

azrobert

Quote from: Rick on May 22, 2015, 08:09:02 AM
The issue is in timing - specifically that GV starts counting when it senses the call, and your answering machine starts counting when it gets the first ring.  If that first ring is delayed in coming through (say it ain't so Google), then the GV 25 second timer has a head start.

Assuming Rick's scenario is correct and I believe it is because other people have complained about GV delayed ringing, you can reduce the time it takes for your answering machine to pick up the call.

Verify this is the problem and determine approximately how long you have before GV VM answers the call by having the person call you.

Each ring last for 6 seconds (ring 2 seconds and silence for 4), so you need 18 seconds for 3 rings plus some time for the 4th ring to start. You can reduce the number of rings on the machine to 3, but now the it will pick up after 12+ seconds.

Another method is to leave it at 4 rings, but change the ring pattern on your OBi. This will give you more time to answer the incoming call.

This is the default ring pattern (Ring profile A/Ring Pattern 1): 60;(2+4)
Reduce the silence portion of the ring: 60;(2+3.7)

Now you have 17.1 seconds before the 4th ring starts.
Keep reducing the ring and silence until your answering machine picks up before GV.

ceg3

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I might try the more technical approach suggested by azrobert or I could also go back to letting GV ring my mobile, which would mostly eliminate the need for voicemail, but there are times I don't want to answer my mobile or have the call go to my mobile voicemail, which is not currently combined with GV.  I guess it's easy enough to just hit the off button on my ole machine. ;D

tempo150101

Bump.

This solution worked for me, although I had to reduce the silent interval down to 3.25 seconds. That means that four ring/silent cycles would be completed at the 21-second Mark, and the fifth ring would be completed at 23 seconds.