News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone does not ring

Started by TracyY, May 28, 2015, 01:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TracyY

I can make out going calls, but phone does not ring for any incoming calls. The phone used to ring. Now, it does not ring even though I didn't change any setting.
I confirmed my Google voice is correctly set up (Google Chat is being checked). I also tried *79 to release "do not disturb." It still does not ring.
When I calls from my cell phone, it goes to voice mail after several rings while the Obihai phone remains silent.
Please help.

SteveInWA

You haven't provided enough information.  Did this ever work, and now it's failing, or are you a new user, and you've never gotten it to work?

When you set it up, did you make an outbound call from your computer, not from the OBi, using Google Chat?  You must do that to get GV to work with an OBi device.  If so, you should also test that an inbound call can be answered on your computer, using Chat.  This will narrow down the cause to a GV issue or an OBi issue.

TracyY

I have been using Obi phone via a hand-held phone, not a computer, for a while. It was working as I was able to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls. Phone used to ring.
Yesterday, I kept trying by calling from my cell phone every hour or so. After a few hours even though I didn't not change any settings, it started ringing.

I wonder why it happened. It is not stable. I didn't change anything, but sometimes rings and sometimes don't.

SteveInWA

If you want to troubleshoot this, then the first thing that needs to be determined is whether the problem is with your Google Voice phone number or settings, or the problem is with your OBi and the telephone.

Here are the steps:

Click the SPx that corresponds to your Google Voice Service Provider configuration.  Click the "Accept" button after reading the warning.  Look at the "Active Google Username:" field, and make note of which Google account you are using.  Is it correct?

Unplug your OBi from power.

Log into Google Voice, using the same user ID as you saw on the OBiTalk portal.  Go to the Phones settings tab:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look at the left side of the page.  Do you see the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number"?  Only the first phrase indicates a full-function GV account with its own, inbound number.

Confirm that you have "Google Chat" listed as a forwarding destination, and that you have a check mark to the left of it.

Click the "edit" button, and on the next screen, confirm that you don't have a calling schedule set up which would cause calls to go to voicemail instead of ringing.

Log into Gmail, again, using the same user ID and password.  Look at your chat avatar on the left side of the page, and click it.  A settings box should pop up.  Does it say "Try the new Hangouts"?  If so, do not click that link.  Or, does it say "Revert to old Chat"?  If so, do click that link.  You should now be using Chat vs. Hangouts.  Make an outbound call from your computer.  Does it work?

Have somebody call your GV phone number, ("Your number", above).  Does it ring your computer?  If so, answer the call and test that it works.  If not, look in the History section.  Does the call log appear there?