News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 and Xtreme Technologies Xlink BTTN Bluetooth Gateway

Started by Konstantin, June 07, 2011, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konstantin

I don't have landline at home, but rather have high speed internet (FiOS) and also all members of the family have their cell phones. Trying to make the most sensible phone configuration for home I just ordered Obi110 and Xtreme Technologies Xlink BTTN Bluetooth Gateway, which hopefully help to wire up our cell phones to the mix.

Obi110 works through Internet, but also allows landline connection.
Xlink works through Bluetooth and cell, and also allows landline connection.

Now I got confused - what to plug into what? Shall I let Obi use Xlink as a "landline" (actually it would be cell), or the opposite - let Xlink use Obi as a "landline" (actually VoIP).

If somebody could advise me about the optimal configuration of those two devices together, that would be awesome!

Thank you!
Konstantin

RonR

You should be able to connect the OBi's LINE Port to the Xlink's handset port and let the OBi treat the Xlink like a PSTN line.  When you place a call from the OBi's telephone, the Xlink will dial out on the first available cell phone.  Incoming calls from the the cell phones will ring your OBi telephone.

Konstantin

Oh, I just got an idea - why can't I connect both of them to each other!? I understand that it sounds a little bit as a perpetum mobile, but it does not seem to contradict to anything!

They would just work as a backup to each other. For instance, Obi send all outgoing calls through Google Voice, but in case Internet is down for whatever reason it routes calls through Xlink and its cellular connection. And vice versa. Hm-m?

RonR

So an incoming call from one cell phone will cause the OBi's PHONE Port to ring, which is connected to the PSTN line port on the Xlink, which does what with it?

Konstantin

Uh... I'm confused now.  ??? I don't know what would (or should) happen. Guess I should only use Xlink as a landline for Obi.

RonR

Maybe I didn't understand you correctly.  I thought you were proposing connecting both the LINE and PHONE ports of the OBi to the Xlink.

Konstantin

Yes, that's what I was proposing and indeed it seems to create endless loop. I drop this idea for now as it seems to be useless.

RonR

The Xlink looks like an interesting device.  It's nice to have cell phones work with home phone systems (I use a Vtech DS-6321 cordless phone system that has Bluetooth cell phone support).  Please report back how the Xlink works out with the OBi.

Konstantin

I will report back when I have a chance to play with Xlink (hopefully this coming weekend). Xlink is the only device I could find which supports THREE cell phones connected simultaneously. All other systems are limited to TWO cell phones, although some claim FOUR Bluetooth devices. And we have three cell phones at home.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rwbuckn

Yes I have that setup. I started out with a GE Cell Fusion which worked ok but not great. The XLink works much better with the Bluetooth pairing and sound quality. Actually I have the Siemens Gigaset branded version which is exactly the same as the Xlink but can be found for a little cheaper. I have the Xlink connected to the OBI line port and a GE DECT system connected to the phone port. GV is setup on SP1 as my default outbound line. My dial plan allows me to dial out on my cell line or GV. At present I only have one cell phone connecting to the Xlink but I'm sure you could use a dial plan that would let you select which cell line to use when multiple cell phones connect. I've expanded the system with Asterisk on SP2 and VOIP phones. Now GV or my cell calls not only ring the GE cordless phones but my VOIP phones as well.