News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Almighty1 on June 22, 2017, 06:02:44 PM
What does the EX actually mean in the firmware version? 

OBiExtras feature appears to require firmware versions that end in EX.

Firmware versions ending with EX add two additional fields under: 

System Status > Product Information >
   PhoneBookEntries   0 Unique Name/Number Pairs
   OBiExtras         Locked -OR- UnLocked

I added OBiExtras to one of my OBi202's. I could not import
Google Contacts until I installed 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX).

I recently upgraded to firmware version:  3.1.1 (Build: 5679EX).

If you upgrade to a firmware versions ending with EX,  and you
have NOT purchased OBiExtras, you will see:

PhoneBookEntries   0 Unique Name/Number Pairs
   OBiExtras         Locked

After adding OBiExtras and "importing Google Contacts" you see:

PhoneBookEntries   125 Unique Name/Number Pairs
   OBiExtras         UnLocked
BigJimMcD

LeoKing

Almighty1

Thanks BigJim_McDfor taking the time to explain it!

Tenderfoot56

I just connected a "New" out of the box OBI202 that I purchased about 3 years ago on sale to eventually replace an OBI100 that appears to have finally died this afternoon.  I found it had a Red/Green Flashing Light on it and it was just stuck there. I had automatic firmware updates disabled, and it was on a UPS Battery Backup all these years, but yet it appeared to be hosed, no dialtone.  Power Cycling the OBI100 box only gave me a solid Red light, so I tossed it aside and installed this new OBI202.

It came right up normally, so i removed the OBI100 from my Google Voice account and added the OBI202 back in it's place.  Everything seems to work just fine.

I also disabled automatic software updates for the OBI202 unit because I don't want it updating unattended as I live in Florida and we have lots of afternoon storms around here that could interrupt the internet at any time.  I keep my routers, OBI, Switches and PC's all on UPS Battery Backup Units all the time and typically they keep running without issues. 

I just checked the firmware version on the Obi202, and it evidently automatically installed Version 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) Firmware the instant I connected it to the Internet.  I had manually updated it last year and put it away again as I like to keep a hot spare available.  Last year when I updated it, I wrote down that I had installed FW 3.1.0 (5264) on July 9, 2016 before putting it back on the shelf as a spare unit.

Anyway, the Firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) appears to be installed on it now, and its newer than anything I can find on the Forum or the download sites.  Hopefully it will continue to work without issues.

Webslinger

Quote from: Tenderfoot56 on July 18, 2017, 03:15:30 PM

Anyway, the Firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) appears to be installed on it now, and its newer than anything I can find on the Forum or the download sites.

Thanks!

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5695EX.fw

chilirock

I also disabled automatic software updates for the OBI202 unit

I don't understand how the Obi would update automatically if auto updates were disabled?

I just checked the firmware version on the Obi202, and it evidently automatically installed Version 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) Firmware the instant I connected it to the Internet. 

Also, how does the Obi find a newer version (5695EX) to download than the version that which is available under http://fw.obihai.com/OBi2-latest.fw (currently 5463EX)

Andy_Shiekh

http://sipfone.co.uk/obihai/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw

is currently 5695EX

ma678

Thank you guys to keep this thread up.

chilirock

Quote from: chilirock on July 19, 2017, 02:48:14 PM
Also, how does the Obi find a newer version (5695EX) to download than the version that which is available under http://fw.obihai.com/OBi2-latest.fw (currently 5463EX)

I think I may have answered my own question. This past weekend, I performed a factory reset on my Obi200. Prior to the reset, the Obi was on v5463EX. To reset the device, I removed the Obi from the ObiTalk portal, reset the device using the small hole on the bottom of the device, then re-added the device to the ObiTalk portal.

After re-adding the device to the portal I noticed that the firmware had updated itself to v5695EX. It seems that resetting the device and adding it to the portal triggered the firmware to be updated to the latest firmware release even though my standard 1-year support has expired.

Have others had the same experience with the firmware update after resetting the device?

PatrickLi

I just got bitten by this auto update pushing 5679EX on me.

I spent hours to figure out that 5679EX will segfault when trying to register with TCP services. So I have to use Obi expert to turn off auto update (you can't do it on the web interface on the box itself, obitalk will override it. But obi expert will override obitalk.) and flash 5463EX to it.

chilirock

@PatrickLi, that's interesting. How do you know that the firmware caused a segfault, what was the symptom? Did your device reboot? I've been having issues with random reboots recently and haven't been able figure out the root cause. When it reboots, there is no reason code associated with it. See my post here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12842.0

It seems to reboot every 2-3 days. I've also noticed that when it reboots, the rest of network freezes and no other devices on the network can connect to the internet, obviously not desirable. I wonder if it's related to the segfault that you identified. I would love to hear more about what you found.

WelshPaul

Any reason why neither of you are using the latest 5695EX release? On my OBi202, it's been online for 15 days and counting. I haven't tested this build with TCP services though.

@PatrickLi states that the segfault issue was with 5679EX when used with TCP services, but reverting back to 5463EX appears to resolve this issue? So i'm guessing no reboots etc for you with this build?

@chilirock you say that your OBi200 is running 5463EX and that you're having reboot issues every 2-3 days along with network lockups? Are you using any TCP services?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

chilirock

Hi @ WelshPaul, Thanks for providing feedback from your device. Actually I am currently on the latest release v5695EX. I had posted the following update (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg82473#msg82473) indicating that my device automatically updated to the latest fw after performing a factory reset and adding it back to the portal. So I've been on that release last Saturday the 29th. My device has already rebooted once since then.

You asked about whether or not I was using any "TCP services". To answer your question, "I don't know". How would I check? I didn't change anything specific from the defaults other than disabling "EnableAccessFromWAN" under the External USB Storage section.

WelshPaul

Quote from: chilirock on August 02, 2017, 10:40:01 AM
Actually I am currently on the latest release v5695EX. I had posted the following update (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg82473#msg82473) indicating that my device automatically updated to the latest fw after performing a factory reset and adding it back to the portal. So I've been on that release last Saturday the 29th. My device has already rebooted once since then.
Oops, I need to get my eyes retested!

Quote from: chilirock on August 02, 2017, 10:40:01 AM
You asked about whether or not I was using any "TCP services". To answer your question, "I don't know". How would I check? I didn't change anything specific from the defaults other than disabling "EnableAccessFromWAN" under the External USB Storage section.

Most VoIP providers use UDP but as I have no real technical knowledge of Google Voice or the likes of callcentric, thought it was worth asking. Anyway, you would know if your OBi was set to use TCP, you would have to alter the ProxyServerTransport parameter. By default, an Obi devices is set to use UDP.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: PatrickLi on August 01, 2017, 05:42:26 PM

I spent hours to figure out that 5679EX will segfault when trying to register with TCP services. So I have to use Obi expert to turn off auto update (you can't do it on the web interface on the box itself, obitalk will override it. But obi expert will override obitalk.) and flash 5463EX to it.

Why are you using TCP instead of UDP?  The large majority of ITSPs use UDP.

chilirock

I verified on my device that both Google Voice (SP1) and CallCentric (SP2) are set to use UDP. I didn't change them from the default settings that were populated when I added the services from the portal.

PatrickLi

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 02, 2017, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: PatrickLi on August 01, 2017, 05:42:26 PM

Why are you using TCP instead of UDP?  The large majority of ITSPs use UDP.

The provider I am using uses TCP only. It is my internet provider and I don't know why they do that. They don't publicly reveal that information and force you to use their app. I figured that out by reverse engineering. In any case I don't have much choice.

PatrickLi

Quote from: chilirock on August 01, 2017, 08:42:45 PM
@PatrickLi, that's interesting. How do you know that the firmware caused a segfault, what was the symptom? Did your device reboot? I've been having issues with random reboots recently and haven't been able figure out the root cause. When it reboots, there is no reason code associated with it. See my post here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12842.0

It seems to reboot every 2-3 days. I've also noticed that when it reboots, the rest of network freezes and no other devices on the network can connect to the internet, obviously not desirable. I wonder if it's related to the segfault that you identified. I would love to hear more about what you found.

My OBi doesn't reboot much. If a segfault happens it will run in "safe mode" and not running any services, including the NTP client that updates the time. You can only see these information when setting it to send logs to a syslog server.

WelshPaul

Quote from: PatrickLi on August 08, 2017, 02:25:50 PM
The provider I am using uses TCP only. It is my internet provider and I don't know why they do that. They don't publicly reveal that information and force you to use their app.
If using an app, TCP is the better option because it helps conserve cell battery life.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com