News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems setting up OBi100

Started by calmore, May 03, 2016, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calmore

All,

Just bought and OBi100. Plugged it into my Sky router and plugged a phone in and all I'm getting is a slight hiss when I pick the phone up. No tones of any sort.

In addition, the website configurator thing can't find the OBi100 :(

When I first powered it up the power and LAN lights flashed a lot; all I have now is a green power LED and the odd flash from the LAN LED.

Help!

drgeoff

OBi ATAs give dial tone to a connected phone even when nothing is plugged in to the ethernet jack.  Your mention of a Sky router suggests you are in the UK so my first suspect would be whatever cabling/adaptor arrangement you are using to connect the phone to the US style phone socket on the OBi100.

The Obitalk portal will not display any knowledge of your OBi100 until you have completed the **5 procedure.  Clearly being able to dial from the connected phone is a prerequisite to that.

calmore

Many thanks, drgeoff! That sounds logical as the "phone" LED doesn't illuminate. I think the "hiss" is probably the phone itself.

I'm using an RJ11 to BT adapter which worked OK on a Cisco ATA. Is there something different about the pin-out of the phone jack of the OBi100? Can anyone point me in the direction of a RJ11 - BT adapter that is known to work, or alternatively a known good RJ11 - RJ11 lead that works with UK phones?

drgeoff

Most phones with an RJ11 socket have it wired the same way as the socket on an OBi100; the centre pair is used. So a straight cable with 2 or 4 wires does the job.

However there are some that don't. I had an early Binatone DECT which used the outer pair. Worked fine with the supplied cable with RJ11 and BT style plug but not with the RJ11 to RJ11 one that came with a Linksys SPA3000.

A further complication is the UK system of a third wire for the bell. Many phones do not need that because they have an internal capacitor. But some do not and require an adaptor which includes a bell capacitor. You will find both types on Amazon UK.
There is no problem using an adaptor with bell capacitor with a phone that has its own. If there is no capacitor in phone or adaptor, the phone will not ring but dialling and talking/listening will work as normal.

calmore

OK, just checked and I'm using a RJ11-BT adapter that has only the centre two pins populated; it has previously worked with a Cisco ATA. Have tried a different phone via the same adapter and still nothing.

Have I been shipped a stuffed OBi100?

SteveInWA

Was this a brand new unit, purchased from a retailer, or was it used, purchased from eBay or some other private seller source?  If it's brand new, I'd suggest returning it to the seller for an exchange, or opening a warranty ticket with Obihai.

calmore

It's a "very nearly new only used a couple of times" item from ebay. Seller has 100% good feedback and item was sold as fully working.

Before I kick up a fuss and send it back are there any other tests I can carry out?

SteveInWA

It's a dud.  Send it back and buy a new one.  New ones aren't that expensive, and have a one year warranty with tech support.

drgeoff