News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 power light goes off , only eth is green, no Dial tone, no IP

Started by Poltash, September 30, 2020, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poltash

Hi,

I had used the phone adapter for for 1+ years.

Back on Feb 12th I got an SMS  from (210) 951-4642‬ saying "Your access is restricted. Please confirm your phone today or your account will be suspended: verify-8997896.verfb.icu".  As it had no sender signature I thought it was a spam and did nothing about it. In about 2-3 days my Ohihai stopped working.  

To fix I updated the firmware, but lat it picked ip from my router it left its name as OBi202, while hw wise its a 200. Scattered threads seem to indicates this may not be a problem.

Now when I turn this on
1. Without ethernet: pwr light starts Red & goes off in few seconds, none of the lights stay, phone has no tone, on ***5 gives no IP

2. With ethernet: pwr light starts Red & goes off in few seconds, ethernet comes on and stays green, on router I see it does not pickup any IP, none other lights stay, phone has no tone, on ***5 gives no IP

I am at a loss.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Poltash

drgeoff

I don't know what to make of your post.

A powered up OBi should give dial tone.  It is generated internally by the Obi and does not depend on a configured account (whether account valid or not) or connection to the internet.  Even with the ethernet cable unplugged you should hear dial tone when you take the phone off-hook.  So whether that SMS was genuine or spam/scam would not have caused loss of dial tone.

More strange is that loss of dial tone is usually accompanied by complete lack of response to dialling any number.  Yet you say that ***5 does give a response.

But you also say that the response to ***5 is "no IP".  However ***5 should respond about password, not IP. See the bottom line of the table on page 27 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

I'm also unaware of the phenomenon of an Obi200 reporting as an OBi202.  Please provide links to some of the scattered threads about that.

It is unwise to reveal your OBi's 9 digit OBi number.  I suggest you edit your post and remove it.

Poltash

Thanks drgeoff.

Few correction/clarifications:

Ethernet or not, I did expect a dial-tone which is not there.
Changed the phone to be sure, the result was same.

Technically "...complete lack of response to dialling any number" is accurate.
There is no dial-tone so ***1 ( and not 5) did not give me anything. No sounds from the handset.

I will post "...OBi202" related URL soon, in short the firmware is the same jumble for 200 & 202 so that gave me the idea that it may not matter.

Took the OBi's ID out. Thx.

-Poltash

drgeoff

My guess (educated but not infallible) is that your OBi is faulty.  I'm slightly suspicious of the firmware you loaded.  What exactly did you load?

Try a hardware reset to defaults.  Step 2 at https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset