News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setup username and password for accessing a protected internet

Started by omin, February 06, 2012, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omin

Hi, all
  I tried to setup a username and password to access the internet protected by a firewall in a hotel. Usually, in a hotel, users are allowed to access the internet but it requires a username and password to obtain an IP by the DHCP server in a hotel.  Dose anyone know how to setup the username and password in an OBibox ? Thanks.

RonR

The OBi doesn't have a username/password for Internet access.  DHCP doesn't use any login.  You actually get an IP address via DHCP from the hotel, but their DNS server returns their walled-garden server's IP address for every lookup until you login.  Logging into the hotel system then unlocks their DNS server.  Once you log in to the hotel system using your web browser in the normal fashion, your router should work in the normal fashion at that point, providing service to your PC, OBi, and anything else that's plugged into it.

omin

Hi, RonR
  Thanks for the input.
What do you mean "Logging into the hotel system then unlocks their DNS server." ?
Did you mean that a user first uses his/her pc to login the hotel system by a web browser and then unplugs the cable and finally plugs it into the OBi ?  After that point, the OBi will be able to access the internet. Is it correct ?
Thanks.

RonR

In a typical hotel where you have to login to use the Internet connection, the PC instantly gets an IP address via DHCP.  If it didn't, you could never use your web browser to login to get full Internet access.  Until you successfully login, the hotel's DNS server returns the same IP address for any hostname lookup -- that of the hotel's login server.  Once you successfully login, the DNS server starts returning the correct IP addresses for hostname lookups.

If you don't have a router with you, it's possible you could unplug your laptop and plug in the OBi.  I don't know if some or all hotel systems automatically log you out when they see a media unplugged indication.  If they do, you'd have to have a router plugged into the hotel's ethernet connection.

omin

Many schools and some hotels in fact have this type of protected firewalls which prevent the OBi from accessing the internet.

Basically, you said if there is a firewall protected, one needs a router and a pc that is used to unlock the DNS server in a hotel. This brings up one question. Should I manually make additional configurations for this router ? If this router needs some configurations, please tell me more. Otherwise, I assume that any router with default configurations will work. It seems to me that this router works as an AP (access point).

Thanks.

infin8loop

If the OP is using Windows, would this post from RonR suggesting ICS Internet Connection Sharing work?

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2430.msg15718#msg15718

As far as unplugging the PC and plugging in the OBi, for some reason I think MAC address plays a part in an Internet connection (at some layer) in addition to just IP address handed out by DHCP. Unplugging the PC and plugging in the OBi would introduce a different MAC address (the OBi's) instead of the MAC address for the PC that established the connection.  Not so sure the unplugging/plugging would go so well.  In the case of hotels with wi-fi only, what do you unplug and plug into?  Wouldn't the ICS work for both wi-fi and ethernet? Haven't used it myself.. so it's all theoretical to me.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

RonR

omin,

Simply treat the hotel's Ethernet jack the same way you would the Ethernet jack on a cable or DSL modem which uses DHCP.  You plug your router into it and you now have four Ethernet connections to use instead of one.  The only difference is you have to login using your web browser on the server that your web browser is initially forced to.  After you login, everything works as you'd expect it to.

omin

Hi, RonR
 Thank you for your time and efforts.  As suggested, I now confirm that the OBi unit works with a router and a pc when there is an DNS challenge with username and password. I believe it will also work in a hotel but one just needs to bring a notebook and a router (or AP).

Stewart

I used to travel with an ATA (long before OBi), but don't anymore -- the hassles have become worse, while the alternatives are now much better.

Don't depend on repurposing the room phone; hotels often have proprietary digital sets or IP phones.  Worse, between infected machines, video-hungry guests, and the huge number of smartphones and tablets (carried by guests who would never bring their computer), many hotel systems are hopelessly overloaded and the connection is unsuitable for VoIP.

If you do have a solid Internet connection, you can call from your computer using Gmail or any softphone.  Present Gmail behavior is that US/Canada calls are free (from a US-based GV account), even if you connect from a foreign IP address.  For cordless, pair a Bluetooth headset to your PC's built-in Bluetooth, or to a USB Bluetooth dongle.  Using a VoIP app on your smartphone or tablet, connect to hotel Wi-Fi.  If it's weak or non-existent, use your laptop or travel router as a local hotspot.

When the hotel Internet sucks, the room phone may be a good choice.  Many hotels offer free local calls -- you could use any calling card service.  Or, call for free into your home OBi via a Localphone, Rebtel, iNum or SIPBroker gateway, then use the AA to call out on any of its services.  If outbound is costly, a callback service (commercial or provided by your OBi) is often a good choice.  Click-to-call is another option.  This is easiest if your room has a dedicated DID.  If not, but it can be reached through an IVR, use a PBXes account to dial the DTMF, or click-to-call from e.g. Anveo.  If incoming calls must be routed through a human operator, try replacing the AA main menu prompt on your OBi with e.g. "Please connect me to John Doe in room 123".  The OBi will say that three times before giving up, so you should have enough time to receive the call and press 2 to call out.

If neither of the above are suitable, there's always your cell phone.  In many countries, you can get a cheap prepaid SIM; calling rates are outrageous, but incoming is free.  This is a perfect match for callback from your OBi at home, or use a commercial service such as CallWithUs, Future-Nine or Fonworld.  If traveling to several countries, consider Maxroam.  Combined with a a US DID from them and OBi or GV callback, you get US inbound and outbound calling from much of the world for $0.12/min.

Rookie

Quote from: RonR on February 06, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
In a typical hotel where you have to login to use the Internet connection, the PC instantly gets an IP address via DHCP.  If it didn't, you could never use your web browser to login to get full Internet access.  Until you successfully login, the hotel's DNS server returns the same IP address for any hostname lookup -- that of the hotel's login server.  Once you successfully login, the DNS server starts returning the correct IP addresses for hostname lookups.

I tried this. My laptop works fine after the login. The OBi Device status says Offline even though it got an IP address from the router. I am able tp ping the OBi IP address from the laptop.

Config is as follows:
Hotel wall jack to router. From router, one cable to laptop (working) and another cable to OBi.
I got this working one time but don't recall what I did. Any clues?

Ostracus

Stewart

Quote from: Rookie on July 07, 2012, 08:29:27 PMI am able tp ping the OBi IP address from the laptop.
Try rebooting it after logging in to hotel system.

If you can ping the OBi, you can probably log into it from your browser (password is admin/admin, or as shown on OBiTalk portal).

If so, report what is shown in System Status for the various services.

Rookie

MAC address of the laptop: 10:0B-A9-E5-6B-E4
MAC address of the device: 9C-AD-EF-00-85-3F

I had been able to log into it via the browser. Did as Stewart instructed and the system status shows:

SP1: Connecting to 74.125.142.125
Sp2: Connecting to 74:125.142.125
OBiTALK: Acquiring Service

Both SP1/SP2 have been configured to GV numbers and I have confirmed that they work before bring the device to the hotel.

As I mentioned before, I was able to make it work for a short while last week.

Thanks for helping.

Stewart

This seems very strange.  My first guess is that the hotel's firewall is blocking the connection; many are very restrictive.  However, since you had it working just a week ago, it's unlikely that they changed anything.

Does the OBi have the correct date/time?  Can you call successfully from Gmail?  Do you have a SIP account to try?

Rookie

Quote from: Stewart on July 08, 2012, 07:36:44 AM
This seems very strange.  My first guess is that the hotel's firewall is blocking the connection; many are very restrictive.  However, since you had it working just a week ago, it's unlikely that they changed anything.

Does the OBi have the correct date/time?  Can you call successfully from Gmail?  Do you have a SIP account to try?

I am able to call from Gmail.
The OBi does NOT have the correct date/time (20:57:55 01/01/2010, Friday) but I didn't see any option to change it.

More than the hotel, I may have tinkered something but it worked fine yesterday at a friend's house when I tested (after resetting the OBi).

Will look for more ideas/options to get it going as I know it can/will work.

Thanks.

Rookie

Quote from: Rookie on July 08, 2012, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: Stewart on July 08, 2012, 07:36:44 AM

I am able to call from Gmail.
The OBi does NOT have the correct date/time (20:57:55 01/01/2010, Friday) but I didn't see any option to change it.

More than the hotel, I may have tinkered something but it worked fine yesterday at a friend's house when I tested (after resetting the OBi).

Will look for more ideas/options to get it going as I know it can/will work.

Thanks.

This worked for me. I made a blunder in reading the suggestions. I was using a hub and not a router. I got myself a router and once I login on my computer, OBi gets the IP address from the router (the hub gets it an IP from the hotel's router) and everything works like a charm.

Thanks to Stewart and others for your help.