News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

LAN Only

Started by HandRinging, December 08, 2013, 11:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandRinging

Can I use a pair of OBI adaptors across a LAN with no internet service or SIP server ? I want to connect two POTS phones together in the same building on the same LAN. Would alternately like to patch a POTS line across the LAN. Go, or no go ?

QBZappy

@HandRinging

Welcome,

Quote from: HandRinging on December 08, 2013, 11:56:53 PM
Go, or no go ?

That should be possible. Do some research on the forum. Several tutorials on this subject or variations there of.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

It can be done.  How difficult a task depends on how complex your network is.  If everything is on one subnet it should be real simple. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

HandRinging

Quote from: giqcass on December 09, 2013, 01:09:34 AM
It can be done..... If everything is on one subnet it should be real simple.  
I use static address for everything. Allow me to elaborate on my two questions ;

If OBI box #1 has IP 192.168.0.50 and box #2 has .51, will box .50 generate ring voltage when I pick up the phone connected to box .51 ? Can I dial by IP address if I have 20 boxes on the network ?

If I connect a POTS line from the telco to box #1 will a phone connected to box #2 ring ?

I'm just looking for some basic functionality answers. If I get some affirmation I will invest my own time on the details and you will not hear from me again, except to help others. Thanks.

giqcass

Since everything would have a static IP I would just use speed dials to call other Obi devices on the network. You would be making direct IP calls but the speed dial would make it simple.  
Speed dial 1-99

Dial 1# and OB #1 rings
Dial 99# and OB  OB #99 rings

If you want to connect to an outside line one of the Obi devices must be an OBi110 or a 200 series with an OBiLine adapter.  All of the Obi devices inside your network could call that Obi and connect to the phone line to dial out.  Only 1 outgoing call at a time would be possible unless you wanted to get complicated with the whole system.  Integration of paging is also possible with the OBi.

Incoming calls from the outside could be forwarded to Obi devices inside the network.  How you would do that depends on your needs.  For an incoming call I think 5 Obi boxes would be the most you could ring simultaneously. If you gave the caller the option to dial an extension they should be able to connect to any Obi in the system.

As you scale up and things get more complicated the Obis can be used with an asterisk server.

Feel free to ask if there is anything else.

ianobi

Here's my version to be adapted as required:

Mini PBX – Two OBi ATAs With One PSTN Line

I'm going to use these values in my example:
OBi100 sp1 ip address 192.168.1.10 UserAgentPort 5070
OBi110 sp1 ip address 192.168.1.11 UserAgentPort 5080

OBi100 (201):

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: SP1 Service

Speed dial slot 10: sp1(202@192.168.1.11:5080)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5060
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> OutboundProxy : 192.168.1.11
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> OutboundProxyPort: 5080
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

The following DigitMap needs to be optimised for whatever numbers are being dialled out via PSTN. This might be typical:
Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxS4|011xx.|xx.)

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : 1234
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : A
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5070
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> CallerIDName : distant
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> MaxSessions : 4
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{>(201):ph}

OBi110 (202):

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: PSTN

Speed dial slot 11: sp1(201@192.168.1.10:5070)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5060
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : 5678
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : A
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5080
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> CallerIDName : home
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> MaxSessions : 4
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{1234>(202):ph},{1234>(xx.):li}

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap (typical) :
(1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxS4|011xx.|xx.)

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute
{ph,sp1(201@192.168.1.10:5070)}

I have not tested this exact config, but it's patched together using parts that work from other configs. It should work like so:

Either OBi should be able to dial out using normal PSTN numbers. Both use the PSTN line connected to the OBi110 (202).

An incoming PSTN call will ring the phones attached to both OBi's. First to answer takes the call.

OBi100 (201) dials 10# to call OBi110 (202).
OBi110 (202) dials 11# to call OBi100 (201).

Edit: Obi names changed to numbers for easier call routing.

giqcass

@ianobi   That's some good info.  I'm saving this thread to my secret stash.

ianobi

@ giqcass   Thanks. This type of question comes up quite  a lot, but they never seem to have quite the same requirements. That keeps it interesting! I threw all sorts of ways of doing this type of thing into this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4944.msg31966#msg31966

It could probably be refined to make a better "OBi PBX". It does contain the concept of a "look-up table" using User Defined DigitMaps, which would be useful if more than two or three OBi's are involved.

HandRinging

giqcass ! Thanks for the comprehensive and fantastic answer. You got right to the point and answered it very well.

ianobi Your info filled in some extras and opened my mind to the possibilities. I've been way behind the curve of VOIP and Obi is looking like a great place to jump in.

Take care !  ;D