News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink Performing System Update

Started by ceg3, March 20, 2014, 05:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

If you go to their status page http://status.vestalink.com/ you will see they are up to some good stuff (I hope) but expected no down time.

giqcass

I would love to know if they are doing something cool.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ceg3

I have learned they are going to launch some kind of beta platform users can opt into.  I have no idea what that will mean, but it could be interesting.  ;D Users will be receiving an email when it's ready.

giqcass

Quote from: oecra on March 21, 2014, 06:46:55 PM
Here's the info: http://www.vestalink.com/blog/?p=58
Some of these features are interesting.
Many of us Google Voice users will appreciate this.  I hope they will also allow forwarding to sip.
QuoteSimultaneous call forwarding to up to 6 phone numbers

This one covers 2 issues people are having.
QuoteTemporarily Disable number spoofing by prepending *78 + number
1 the number Spoofing seems to make it difficult to check GV voicemail.
2 It gives people the ability to have a virtual second outgoing line.

I'll be interested in hearing what the mean by this.
QuoteEmergency 911 notifications

I would like to see how they implement this.  In practice many anti robo call services block legitimate reminders of appointments and notifications.
QuoteTelemarketer blocking, robocall verification. 

erkme73

I'm excited to see the simu ring feature - I've been waiting for that.   Ideally, that means I can port my number away from GV completely and have VL act as the forwarding agent.

The only gotcha is that calls made from phones other than the Obi box (i.e. cell phone) will show their unique caller ID to the recipient.   

With the GV app, callers only see your single GV number.  I hope they can figure a way to implement that into a cell dialer like GV did.

giqcass

Quote from: erkme73 on March 21, 2014, 09:07:17 PM
With the GV app, callers only see your single GV number.  I hope they can figure a way to implement that into a cell dialer like GV did.
To spoof your CID your cell phone would need to call Vestalink first or use Voip to connect to vestalink.  The old Google Voice app calls GV first.  Doesn't Vestalink have an app that will do Voip calls on your Cell phone?  I can't remember all of the details.

erkme73

Yes, they do - CloudSoftPhone.  I just played with it.  The problem for me is that it is entirely data/VoIP based.  Unlike GV, where your cell phone would actually call their proxy via the phone (not data), this one relies entirely on your carrier's data coverage.  Which, for T-mobile in Tampa, is very hot and cold.

Where it works, it works great (40+ mpbs) but, 10 feet to the left, and you get zero data.  It makes using it for audio/video the pits.

giqcass

I get what you are saying there.  We get mostly 3g where I am and we are lucky to get that.  I've seen my phone go from 3g to 1x. 

ceg3

The problem with the simultaneous forwarding is that I expected simultaneous ringing.  With what they setup if you enable the forwarding your Vestalink number doesn't ring, only the forwarding numbers.  I have GV ringing all my numbers.  For that matter, I exited the beta and went back to manually configuring my OBi, so I can have simultaneous ringing of my primary Vestalink number and my mobile.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

I'm excited to see the simu ring feature - I've been waiting for that.   Ideally, that means I can port my number away from GV completely and have VL act as the forwarding agent.

The only gotcha is that calls made from phones other than the Obi box (i.e. cell phone) will show their unique caller ID to the recipient.   

Couldn't you use the OBi auto attendant to call out with your cell phone, all via voice line?

In case you don't know how this works... you put your cell phone number into the OBi AA as a trusted number that goes to the Auto Attendant (AA), and you can have it either forward a call to another number via the OBi, or call you back to make a call.  The callerID will show whatever is configured by the VOIP provider, not your cell phone.

I'm not sure how I first entered the numbers, but I think it was when I first set it up via ObiTalk.  But it can be done manually by connecting to the OBi and entering the right digiMap for incoming calls.

ceg3

Quote from: ceg3 on March 22, 2014, 05:59:59 AM
The problem with the simultaneous forwarding is that I expected simultaneous ringing.  With what they setup if you enable the forwarding your Vestalink number doesn't ring, only the forwarding numbers.  I have GV ringing all my numbers.  For that matter, I exited the beta and went back to manually configuring my OBi, so I can have simultaneous ringing of my primary Vestalink number and my mobile.
The feature is in fact intended as I had hoped, simultaneous ringing. After trying again after Ryan advised me how the feature works I have it working. Now incoming calls will ring my Vestalink and my mobile, as GV can. I had this setup in OBiTALK, but I like that it is now very easy to setup within the Vestalink portal.

erkme73

Quote from: Marty.ba.calif.usa on March 22, 2014, 09:40:21 AM

Couldn't you use the OBi auto attendant to call out with your cell phone, all via voice line?

In case you don't know how this works... you put your cell phone number into the OBi AA as a trusted number that goes to the Auto Attendant (AA), and you can have it either forward a call to another number via the OBi, or call you back to make a call.  The callerID will show whatever is configured by the VOIP provider, not your cell phone.

I'm not sure how I first entered the numbers, but I think it was when I first set it up via ObiTalk.  But it can be done manually by connecting to the OBi and entering the right digiMap for incoming calls.

Thanks Marty.  Yes, I know you can use the OBi as a relay to make calls like that.  And, I suppose that could work, but I'm too lazy and impatient to jump through so many hoops.  I guess GV has spoiled me with their transparent relay system.  I know beggars can't be choosers, but I'm hoping that this type of seamless relaying could be integrated into Vestalink's network.    It would require an app that integrates tightly with the stock dialer on Android (like the GV app), and that they have the support to transparently relay with proxies - just like GV.   It's a long shot, but I can dream, right?

erkme73

Quote from: ceg3 on March 22, 2014, 02:21:54 PM
Quote from: ceg3 on March 22, 2014, 05:59:59 AM
The feature is in fact intended as I had hoped, simultaneous ringing. After trying again after Ryan advised me how the feature works I have it working. Now incoming calls will ring my Vestalink and my mobile, as GV can. I had this setup in OBiTALK, but I like that it is now very easy to setup within the Vestalink portal.

Don't keep us in suspense!  What did Ryan have you do?  Did you have to go back to the Beta portal, or does it work with the regular web interface?   Thx...

ceg3

The important thing I learned from Ryan is that the new forwarding is simultaneous ring, so my Vestalink number should have rung. He had no issues, so it had to be my setup.  He asked if I have tried manual setup instead of the easy setup tool.  I did that and removed the setting for x_inboundcallroute that I had setup for ph and my mobile.  I think that setting was causing the bug, so after entering the beta sip credentials manually and resetting that callroute to default it worked the way it should, ringing my Vestalink number and the forwarded number(s).

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Quote from: erkme73 on March 22, 2014, 02:35:55 PM
Thanks Marty.  Yes, I know you can use the OBi as a relay to make calls like that.  And, I suppose that could work, but I'm too lazy and impatient to jump through so many hoops.  I guess GV has spoiled me with their transparent relay system.  I know beggars can't be choosers, but I'm hoping that this type of seamless relaying could be integrated into Vestalink's network.    It would require an app that integrates tightly with the stock dialer on Android (like the GV app), and that they have the support to transparently relay with proxies - just like GV.   It's a long shot, but I can dream, right?
Sure you can dream; being an Android user, I dream of electric sheep.

Actually, the OBi callback seems pretty easy and flexible to me. But I never used GV, so I don't really know how they compare.

riptcity00

Wasn't part of the test group, but changes appear now on the customer web portal.  Many good feature adds that are simple and easy to use.  I'm curious to see how well the different settings work for call blocking/filtering, since spam is one of the biggest headaches with any service provider.  I'm still planning to use GV with forwarding for now, but if I switch over completely, these changes will make it much easier.

Great job VL and those that helped with testing!

ceg3

I was told that sms is soon to come to the beta testers.

riptcity00

Anyone tried the speed dial feature yet?  I can assign speed dials in the phone book, but no luck using them so far.

MikeHObi

Quote from: riptcity00 on April 02, 2014, 05:32:54 PM
Anyone tried the speed dial feature yet?  I can assign speed dials in the phone book, but no luck using them so far.
you may need to adjust your obi configuration to support speed dials i.e. the DigitMap
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.