News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Another caller cannot hear me

Started by sailing, June 02, 2015, 04:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailing

I use Voip.ms. The obi will go months without an issue then suddenly, I can call or receive a call and the person at the other end cannot hear me, but I can hear them. I reboot the Obi and the problem goes away.

I will start rebooting monthly to prevent this issue but if anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

OzarkEdge

Have you checked for and disabled any SIP ALG or SIP Passthrough functions in your router?

OE

Jackson

Do you have it an open area?  I keep mine on a small wire shelf to enhance cooling.  Don't stack it on modems, routers etc.

sailing

I don't have any devices stacked and it resides in the basement where it is cooler then elsewhere.

I'll check the passthrough functions on my router tonight.

sailing

As background, I have a Linksys E1200 router with dd-wrt on it. My setup is Obi110 with Voip.ms and Ooma.

While looking at SIP functions on my router and doing some searching, I found this link: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Siproxd. The "Issues" section describes the problem. Based on this, I suspect that whenever my IP changes, the Obi's connection to Voip.ms becomes problematic. When I reboot the Obi, the problem resolved itself.

I haven't had the time to set up the sip proxy but I at least wanted to let everyone know what I discovered in case it helps someone else.

sailing

I asked Voip.ms about this problem and here is their response.

"You may want to try changing the Obi>> Service Providers>> ITSP Profile A>> SIP>> ProxyServer and Registrar Server Ports from 5060 to 5080.

You can also try changing ProxyServerTransport on the same page from UDP to TCP."

I won't know for months if this works but I figured I would post what I find out in case someone else has the same problem and wants to try this. BTW, I have not set up the proxy as mentioned on my previous post. I prefer trying the simple stuff first.

Taoman

Would recommend you do exactly as VoIP.ms support suggests. I have 2 OBi's configured for VoIP.ms using these settings and they have been rock solid with no voice issues whatsoever.

Change your transport protocol to TCP.

(There are many differing opinions on TCP vs UDP as transport for VoIP (UDP is still used for RTP). My experience has been that "it depends." In the end, you have to experiment with both transport protocols with each provider to see which yields the best results. With VoIP.ms I believe TCP is the most reliable transport with their SIP/POP servers.......for me. Others may experience different results.)

Change proxy port to 5080 or 42872.

Quote from: VoIP.ms WiKI FAQDo you support TCP for the SIP communication?

With the exception of Atlanta1, Dallas, Tampa and Houston, TCP is fully supported in our servers.

Do you offer alternative ports besides 5060?

We offer alternative SIP ports, UDP 5080 and 42872 on all of our servers, You can try those ports in case your Internet Service Provider blocks the port 5060 UDP or if you need to use another one.]

sailing

I changed the settings as Voip.ms recommended and found no difference in the quality of the calls.

I read about the differences of UDP and TCP. Although the added overhead for TCP creates a more reliable connection, it can add delays. Fortunately for me, there is no difference.