News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help Improve Google Voice (Win a Chromecast):

Started by Crow550, June 11, 2015, 06:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow550

Just fill out this short Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oivRQrLxN9xU3atBuCQy4rubKFf3lmcozTRN3wjgW3A/viewform

A few suggestions for Obihai users:

- Call Screening. (currently not supported with Google Chat or Hangouts VOIP)

- An option to set a Pin number when checking Voicemail. (currently not supported with Google Chat or Hangouts VOIP)

- Google Voice site bring back the option to select Google Chat as a Call number.

-  Bring back the option for Google Voice Chrome Extension to highlight a Phone number in Chrome and then choose to have it Dialed with Google Chat.

- Record Voicemail greetings over Obihai Phone. (currently not supported with Google Chat or Hangouts VOIP)

- Add in Callers to your current call. You'd Press Flash and it would tell you if you want to add this caller to your current call press 5. (currently not supported with Google Chat or Hangouts VOIP)

- A built in option for Unknown Callers to get a message to press *82 to unblock their number when calling.

- Google Caller ID lookup support for Obihai users if Possible. (This was recently added to Hangouts).  

- Have the * Switch Phones and 4 Call Recording work on Obihai Google Chat (also Hangouts VOIP) for inbound & outbound calls.

ipse

I strongly recommend that you take the survey and provide feedback as suggested.
More details at
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30106673-Google-Voice-Survey
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

SteveInWA

The survey isn't a request for people to send in a wishlist of features.  Nor is it, like some DSLreports conspiracy theorists think, an opportunity to justify eliminating a service.  They are just collecting user feedback on which already implemented GV features are most valued.

The strategic direction is to migrate and consolidate GV features into the Hangouts user interfaces.  There is no nefarious plan to eliminate OBi access. 

There is not going to be any further Google software engineering development effort at all on the old Google Chat/Talk related components.  Specifically:  no feature changes or additions to the Google Voice website, nor the mobile Google Voice apps.  There is no point whatsoever in submitting a desired additional feature list that depends on the Chat/Talk legacy platform...it's not going to happen, guaranteed, based on my previous conversations with Google engineering regarding changes to those interfaces.

None of the suggestions listed above will likely be implemented, with the possible exception of the ability to record VM greetings via a computer on a web page vs. via a physical telephone number, because they depend on the now-obsolete Chat/Talk infrastructure.

There are some limited features for OBi users that could be added by Obihai engineering, not by Google, which would involve OAUTH 2.0 access to the user's account.  For example, the 10x2 OBi phones can now access the user's Google Contacts, so that's one area that Obihai could leverage.  However, calling features are limited to the narrow feature set included with WebRTC, which is focused on web browser-based calling.

If you want to submit useful input, simply mention in the comments how much you value using an OBi device with GV, and add it as an "Other" method for interfacing with the service.

ceg3

Thanks for the heads up.  Looking forward to using my new Chromecast!  ;D

Crow550

The survey had a "What, if anything, do you DISLIKE most about Google Voice?" That's where you'd put some of the things I listed.

Nowhere does the survey list anything about Hangouts?

Anyways.... Today is the last day to fill it out.