News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disadvantage of no Google Voice phone # in Canada

Started by deathracer, June 23, 2015, 05:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathracer

I'm setting up a new Obi110
and keeping my existing Bell Canada landline as it's used for my alarm system and DSL connection.
I'll use my landline for local calls and all incomming calls (as I do now with my old VOIP setup)

So my primary reason for installing the Obi110 is to use with Google Voice for outgoing long distance calls (Canada, USA and overseas)
My understanding is in this case setting up a USA Google Voice number is not required.

Q1: Am I losing out on any great features by not setting up a USA Google Voice number?

Q2: Is there any setup I need to do on my gmail account so that overeas outgoing calls are funded? (I already have a Google wallet account which was setup to allow purchase of Android apps)

thanks

SteveInWA

My understanding is in this case setting up a USA Google Voice number is not required.

Technically, the OBi devices are actually using the old Google Chat (XMPP) protocol for outbound calling; this is independent of any GV phone number you may or may not have, so, no, you do not need a Google Voice phone number to make outbound calls.  The calls will display a generic Google phone number as the caller ID.  So, if your callers are unwilling to answer calls from unknown numbers, that might be an issue, unless you advise them in advance.

Q1: Am I losing out on any great features by not setting up a USA Google Voice number?

That's a matter of personal preference and opinion, depending on whether or not those features are valuable to you.   Many of the features can be duplicated or approximated by using a good SIP VoIP provider instead of, or in addition to, GV.  Officially, GV is only intended for users located within the 48-state USA geography.  Google isn't going to send the RCMP after you, but you do need a US-based forwarding phone number to authenticate your account when you request a new inbound number from GV.

Q2: Is there any setup I need to do on my gmail account so that overeas outgoing calls are funded? (I already have a Google wallet account which was setup to allow purchase of Android apps)

To add funds to be used for international calling, use a laptop or desktop computer web browser, not a mobile device, and sign into your Google Voice account, here:  https://www.google.com/voice#billing

Clicking the "add credit" button will enable you to purchase credit using your Wallet account.