News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New User and Obi202 Configuration

Started by Emorysdad, June 26, 2015, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emorysdad

Hello, all. I'm a brand new user and trying to get my device setup to work with my phones and desire. Hopefully I'll be able to get things setup the way I want, but it's possible that I misunderstood the capabilities of the device before purchasing. I bought the 202 since it said 4 line capabilities, but I think that I'm now seeing that it has 4+ lines capabilities, but only 2 may be in use at the same time?

So, here's what I'd like to be able to do:
I have 4 GV numbers and would like:
GV1 to ring on Phone 1 always.
GV2 to ring fax on Phone 1, but would like for the fax machine to only be able to answer calls made to GV2 (I was hoping to use second pair on the RJ-14 Phone 1 jack?)
GV3 to ring on Phone 2 always.
GV4 to ring on Phone 2 always (but be on second pair of RJ-14 Phone 2 jack?)

So, in the end I'd like to be able to have all 4 lines going at the same time and need help to understand IF it's possible, then HOW will come later.

Thanks for your help!

SteveInWA

The OBi 202 has two physical telephone ports, not four.  It only supports two different telephone wire pairs being connected.  The Line 1 jack is a 4-wire, RJ-14 jack, with the standard US telephone wiring convention:  Line 1 is on the inner two conductors, and Line 2 is on the outer two conductors.  The Line 2 jack is a RJ-11, 2-wire-only jack.  It has Line 2's circuit on the inner two conductors.  This is typical for two-line telephone devices, as it allows the customer to either use two separate phone cords with RJ-11 wiring, or one cord with RJ-14 wiring.

You can direct any of the four service provider configurations to ring on either the Line 1 or Line 2 outputs.

The issue you have is fax detection.  If you plug a fax machine into the Line 2 wiring, it, not the OBi, would determine whether or not it auto-answers calls.  The fax machine would need the capability to answer all calls, and ignore voice calls when it doesn't hear the fax tone.  This would still interfere with handling voice calls, since it would preclude that line from going to voicemail if unanswered.

What to do?  Either buy another OBi and dedicate a phone number to the fax, or leave the fax's auto-answer setting tuned off, and manually turn it on  when you know someone is going to send you a fax, or, use the more modern solution:  get a fax mailbox.  Callcentric, for example, one of the SIP VoIP providers easily configured on an OBi device, offers inbound fax reception to a fax mailbox.  It can then email you the fax, instead of using the fax machine.

azrobert

You can set the fax to answer on a double distinctive ring then set SP2 to use ring pattern 3. Ring pattern 3 is a double ring.

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_DefaultRing: 3

When receiving a fax and an inbound call comes thru SP1, the fax will hear a call waiting tone. I don't know if this will cause problems. You can disable call waiting on Phone1.