News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing calls, no prob. Incoming, not so easy.

Started by okcomputer, July 16, 2015, 11:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okcomputer

I know I must be doing something right when calls made from my obi-202 connected phone are connecting successfully, but frustratingly, incoming calls are going to voicemail.  I had to use an existing number for this particular location so i took the time to port my landline to a prepaid cellphone, then to google. 
I'm not sure where to go from here.  Currently, my configuration is:

Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:    SP2    Not Configured
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:    SP1,SP2   
Voicemail Notification Alert from:       
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP2    SP2

I figure this is a config issue, but i'm not too sure where the problem lies.  I've watched a lot of videos saying how easy this is to configure, but thats not exactly accurate.  The tutorials also oversimplify the process (in my opinion),  but thats another topic.  Can anyone tell me the secret to both sending and receiving calls from a google voice number?   

[I suppose I should add that the assigned line LED's flash when making or trying to receive a call, but I don't want to screw with the configuration when i'm not sure what to do, as the line currently passes the 911 test, and I don't want to break that. (but don't mind reconfiguring in order to resolve the issue.  If this were a case of forwarding to a cell or landline this probably wouldn't be an issue, but i'm just a newbie at VOIP config.) ]

[More config info:
SP1Google VoiceConnected 
SP2 (Optional)Anveo Basic 911Registered]

okcomputer

I seemed to have fixed the issue by activating the phone ringing on sp2.  I figured this was not important if i was only using one line.  Can anyone explain the reason for this, or is it a google voice related thing?  Thanks again!

drgeoff

I find your two posts confusing.

Probably the most common reason for incoming GV calls never ringing and always going to voicemail is user error. At google.com/voice go to Settings and on the Phones tab check that the box at Google Chat is ticked.

okcomputer

I was pretty sure I had something misconfigured, I just didn't think this was it.  Enabling the google account was one of the most common resolutions in all posts I read (on google and obitalk forums, so I made sure to check that.  Once I enabled ringing on sp2, everything started working correctly.  I was confused too, which was why I didn't think enabling the port I had configured simply for E911 to ring would help.  This was especially confusing since my post was recently rated most helpful on google voice forums, so I'm apparently not the only one having this problem. 
I can't find a complete tutorial online (and i read a lot of them from obitalk) that was updated within 2 years, so maybe thats something to be addressed.  Also,  is there a specific port config that I should be using in the obi202 config for a single line with E911 enabled?  I'd like to make sp2 available in the event I decide to use a device on that line.  Thanks for the response :)

okcomputer

Once again, I may be answering my own question.
I took a look at the obi202 config and realized that no matter how many times I set ringing to sp1, the config showed ringing only on sp2.  I power cycled the obi, and was able to enable sp1 as primary ringing line.  Maybe this is something for obihai to address, as it had me confused for a few days.
Current line setup:

Phone 1   Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:    SP1    Not Configured
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:    SP1,SP3   
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    SP3   
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP3    SP3

I noticed that reenabling E911 service to sp3 also reset my default outgoing and ring port to sp3.  I set sp1 to default outgoing and ring and everything is good.