News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 stopped working

Started by hnrwl, August 05, 2015, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnrwl

I have been using GV with an Obi100 for a couple years. I was away for a week and when I returned my phone service suddenly doesn't work, although my Internet is fine. It reads "Check tel line" on the phone. What I have tried so far:

Turned the router on and off.
Logged into my GV account online to make sure it worked.
Unplugged everything from the Obi100 and plugged it back in. The light on the far left is solid green.
Based on some other posts here, I checked the firmware and it was 1.3.0, Build 2824. I manually upgraded it to 2872. I then noticed that it said Google Voice not connected so I set that up again; I had to be directed to the google voice page and entered my info (which I have not had to do in the past). It now says "Connected" but the phone still doesn't work.

I did set up the google hangouts dialer on my android last week so I could make outgoing calls from my GV account on my phone. I don't know if this is related.

What else can I try to get the Obi100 phone service working again?

hnrwl

Just tried the instructions from azrobert here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10028.0 regarding adding the GV password in the Expert configuration setting, but still doesn't work.

SteveInWA

I suggest performing a factory reset on the OBi, deleting it from the OBiTALK portal, and setting it up again, since it was significantly down-level.  The Phone port on the OBi should be working, even after a factory reset, and before configuring Google Voice (or any other service provider).

If your telephone still says "check tel line", then you have one of these issues, unrelated to Google Voice:

• Your telephone's circuitry went bad.  Try another telephone.
  • The telephone cord from the OBi's Phone port is damaged or not securely plugged in.  Swap out with another cord and try again.
  • The Phone port on the OBi is dead.  Time for a new OBi.

hnrwl

The phone seems to be working fine and I doubt the cord is a problem, I think the device must have stopped working as you have mentioned. It will not let me set up the GV account after rebooting it and none of the IVR commands work. Another post which describes a similar issue:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10100.0

SteveInWA

Well, if you read that linked discussion, which is actually linked to one previous to it, we also pointed out that an OBi will at least operate the attached telephone to use IVR prompts, without any configuration. 

Why not try another phone and cord? 

If you're going to replace the OBi, I recommend getting a model 200, as it is based on a more powerful SoC and can support 4 service providers and other new features.

hnrwl

Couldn't find a spare phone cord nor a spare phone. In a month I was planning on switching services anyway so if I can get by until then I can defer obtaining a phone and/or cord.

SteveInWA

If you refuse to perform basic troubleshooting, and you can't be bothered to borrow or buy another telephone, then all I can conclude is this:  https://youtu.be/QDvQ77JP8nw