News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using GV as voicemail for POTS, retaining caller number

Started by beowulf573, January 09, 2016, 07:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf573

Hi, I'm configuring a Obi110 for the first time, so far everything is great except for one little hitch.

I have a POTS line and a google voice account on sp1.  What I'd like to do is forward unanswered calls, or when busy, from the POTS line to a second google voice account just for voicemail.

Under the LINE settings I checked CallForwardOnBusyEnable and CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable, and set both CallForwardOnBusyNumber and CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber to sp1(xxx) where xxx is the number for the second google voice account.

I also checked X_SpoofCallerID under ITSP Profile A SIP and verified sp1 is set to use profile A.

This works almost perfectly, I have the second gv account set to do not disturb so it goes directly to voicemail and I can forward the voicemail to a number of email accounts.  However, the caller number is always the phone number of the google voice account I have configured on sp1. 

Is there a way to pass along the original caller phone number?  I had thought the spoof caller id setting would do this.  Is this just a limitation of google voice?

thanks,
Eddie

drgeoff

beowulf573

Thought as much, thanks.  It's not the end of the world, but I might consider setting up Asterisk at one point just to use as a voicemail server.

azrobert

Not with the method you're using.
If your carrier has a forwarding feature, forward all calls to your GV account and then have GV send the call to your OBi110. GV voicemail will pick up after about 5 rings. You might get charged for the forwarded call.

You can use a similar method as you are trying with a free Callcentric account/voicemail.

beowulf573

That's an interesting idea, my plan is to reduce the landline to a minimal service place once I'm confident the Obi110 is working as expected.  I'll have to see how much forwarding adds to the mix.

Thanks.

azrobert

If that doesn't work, check out Callcentric's voicemail.
http://www.callcentric.com/features/voice_mail

Get a Callcentric free IP Freedom account and VM.

In your OBi110 route calls to your Callcentric account like this:
sp2(1777xxxxxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)

SP2 doesn't have to be registered to Callcentric, but must be defined as SIP with X_SpoofCallerID enabled.

Edit:
You would also have to setup a CC call treatment to route all calls to VM.

beowulf573

Thanks for the suggestion, I just setup an account with Callcentric and it's seems to be working great.  The voicemail email is also formatted better than the Google Voice one.