News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice showing "Offline"

Started by SuperPhreak, August 17, 2015, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPhreak

I've noticed (started noticing last weekend 8/15) that I'm getting no service tones in my Obi100.  For some reason, Google voice is showing "Offline" even though i've deleted and recreated it numerous times.  There's not really any settings to it besides log in and approve the permissions.  I've done that.  It doesn't work with any of my Google Voice accounts.  The Obi100 device is in my DMZ, and i've verified that all traffic is passing through without block.

Is there something that's changed in Google/Obi that I need to update?  

SteveInWA

What do you mean "service tones"?  Dial tone?

From the OBiTALK portal page, click on the gear icon to get to the OBi 100's settings, and then get into Expert mode.  Go to the Status section, System status, and look at the firmware level.  What is it?

Log into your Google Voice account, go to the settings page, on the Phones tab, and take a screenshot.  Redact (black out) all personal information but the last 4 digits of any phone numbers and post it here.

SuperPhreak

Sorry, by "service tones" I mean the 3 tones followed by "There is NO SERVICE available to complete your call."

It was the dumbest thing.  What finally fixed it is I took the power out of my UPC and put it in a wall outlet, and it works.  The UPC is working, I just ran another test.  I don't know why, so I'll just leave it there for now.  It would be nice to have phone if power goes out though.

Thanks for the reply.

SteveInWA

That makes no sense at all.  Why would you want to hear the SIT (the three tones)?  You'd want to not hear those tones, if your device was working.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones

Furthermore, if the device works while not plugged into the UPS, but fails if you plug it back into the UPS, then obviously the UPS needs service, not the OBi.  Or, perhaps just unplugging it from any sort of power and then plugging it in again fixed it.  You'll have to troubleshoot your UPS.

SuperPhreak

Once again I posted too quickly.  I meant:

I hear "No Service" tones.

Not

I hear no "service tones".

Then my second comment and quotes were wrong.  As I said, I tested out my UPS and it held up my server, SAN, switch, and router for the minute or so I had it under test.  I'm not saying it's not the UPS, I'm just saying it passed the test I threw at it.  But I agree, I think the Obi is working.  I posted this because I know how fickle Google has been in the past.