News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

nortel meridian obi 110

Started by rsriram22, August 21, 2015, 05:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsriram22

I cannot seem to get the nortel meridian phone connected to obi 110. anything obvious i am missing ?

the phone LED blinks green indicating a call in progress, but there is no dial tone in the phone at all...

some reading on the internet tells me that it could be a digital <-> analog issue. if it is, any cheap digital to analog adapters out there?
have two 100s and one 110

SteveInWA

The Meridian phones I remember from the 1990s used the proprietary Nortel digital PBX switches.  You couldn't just plug them in to an analog POTS line.

Time to join the 21st century.  Get a new telephone.

rsriram22

unfortunately, it's the phone system at my work. i wanted to route my work calls to google voice using obi. apparently, this is what i realized when i hooked it up and it would not work.

so no options for me then? what about norstar adapter ? it going ~30 bucks on ebay now.. will it work? or is there anything cheaper alternative than that?

SteveInWA

I don't understand your reply.

"...at my work..."  Are you an employee at some company that still has a Nortel Meridian system?  If so, it's not your decision to make.  IF you are the business owner, it's time to dump that system and get IP phones, like the OBi 10x2 series by Obihai.

In any case, Google Voice isn't recommended for business use.  Any pennies you save in calling costs will be quickly offset when the occasional issue with GV causes your business to be unreachable.  There is no direct technical support for GV.

rsriram22

yes. at my workplace (working for an employer) and i dont have any decision making capabilities atleast in the area of telephony and thanks for the advice.. will not put in a obi there then..