News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Terrible Quality

Started by GreenJelly, August 24, 2015, 07:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenJelly

I updated the device and got "Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified. "

Im using google voice, and call quality is terrible.  I am disconnected, not able to hear, or their not able to hear Me at some point during about 40% of the calls.  Wife was saying that when I called her, my voice was delayed about 4 seconds and very crackly.

I am willing to pay for a service that is more reliable then google Voice, If google voice is the issue.

GreenJelly

Is there anyway to insure that the packets are given a priority so that they will be delivered?  If I could ensure it's not a computer that decides its time to update, I would be able to eliminate one possible issue. 

I believe I have looked into this onto other devices with very little success as I have always been told that the priority system built into TCP/IP is crap, and that if you need to guarantee delivery was to own your own line.

Marc

You'll need to setup QOS on your router and make sure any switches you have between the router and the obi202 will see the QOS tags and respond accordingly.  I could tell you how to do this on Cisco routers, but hell if I can figure it out on most others.  I'm still stumped by the QOS settings on the Verizon FiOS routers.

Also use a test like this one to check the quality of your line, specifically for aspects effecting VOIP.
http://www.ringcentral.com/support/qos.html

BTW, when setup and used properly, QOS, which typically is a layer 3 protocol, is a very robust part of the TCP/IP stack.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

dircom

For you and anyone else who wants help, I suggest you provide more info

like, what device do you have
has it ever worked properly
what kind of internet
what speed
what voice quality tests have you run
is your obi hard wired or wireless
what are the results of a voice quality test
did you forget to mention that it quit working after a lightning strike
get the picture?