News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Background noise on a new OBi202

Started by Bubble, August 31, 2015, 09:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubble

I just purchased an OBi202, which I have up and running.  However, there is an everpresent low-level white noise that is louder than I like.  From reading up on things, it looks like it *might* be the comfort noise generator.  That's fine, as long as I can adjust the amplitude of that noise, but I can't find any way to do that.

Does this sound like it's the comfort noise generator?  And if so, how can I adjust the volume of the noise it generates?

drgeoff

I don't know whether OBis have that noise generator or not,  but if they do I can find no control for it in the GUI.

Bubble

It's listed in the specifications, so they definitely have it.

If that's what this is, they really need to add a control setting in the next firmware update.

There's so much detail in what can be controlled in the Obi units, it seems like an oversight that they would have left this out.

LTN1

Quote from: Bubble on August 31, 2015, 09:11:01 AM

I just purchased an OBi202, which I have up and running.  However, there is an everpresent low-level white noise that is louder than I like.  From reading up on things, it looks like it *might* be the comfort noise generator.  That's fine, as long as I can adjust the amplitude of that noise, but I can't find any way to do that.

Does this sound like it's the comfort noise generator?  And if so, how can I adjust the volume of the noise it generates?

Sometimes this could be caused by interference--like placing the OBi unit too close to an electrical device, modem, monitor, etc. Try moving it to different locations, even if it is only a few feet away to see if it helps.

SteveInWA

I doubt it is directly caused by CNG.  I've configured a boatload of different phones on different OBi's, and the only time I could hear "white" noise was when the gain was turned up too far on either the OBi (Tx gain) or on the telephone or headset.

SteveInWA

There are a couple of other things you can look into:

If your own phone's microphone is picking up too much ambient noise, and/or its gain is set too high, it could be causing the problem.  Try muting the mic and see if the noise diminishes.

VoIP can detect when there is no (well, very little) sound on the call.  When that happens, it can stop sending audio packets, to conserve bandwidth.  This is called "Silence Suppression".  You can turn this function on, which will make the call very quiet when nobody is talking.  Some people find it confusing, as it may seem to your called or calling party on the other end that the call was disconnected.  If you want to experiment with it, the setting is in the CODEC section.  It's disabled by default (meaning, that the CODEC is encoding whatever it "hears", regardless of the audio level).  When you enable it with a check mark, it will stop encoding audio below a threshold of "silence".

kaniki

i agree with moving the phone away from any electrical stuff. but another factor could be stuff that may be in direct line around you. for example, even though you may not have your phone right next to the tv, if you are using cordless, then if the base is on one side of say, a TV, or maybe even microwave that is on, and the handset is on the other end, that interference can leave static on the line too. Another thing that can cause it, if the cord from the phone to the adapter is bad or loose.. it could be shorting out. another option is if you have a cordless handset. If you have a 900mhz cordless phone, and you also have wireless in the house, you could be getting interference from things like that too. Standard wireless routers run on the 900mhz frequency.

drgeoff

Quote from: kaniki on September 01, 2015, 12:05:09 AM
Standard wireless routers run on the 900mhz frequency.
No they don't.

Standard Wi-Fi equipment (802.11a/b/g/n)  uses the 2.4GHz and/or 5 GHz bands.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Bubble on August 31, 2015, 09:11:01 AM
I just purchased an OBi202, which I have up and running.  However, there is an everpresent low-level white noise that is louder than I like.

You could try another phone with your OBi connected in another location/router/house.  If the noise remains, it could be your new OBi is noisy.  Also try another power adapter, if you can source one.

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: kaniki on September 01, 2015, 12:05:09 AM
i agree with moving the phone away from any electrical stuff. but another factor could be stuff that may be in direct line around you. for example, even though you may not have your phone right next to the tv, if you are using cordless, then if the base is on one side of say, a TV, or maybe even microwave that is on, and the handset is on the other end, that interference can leave static on the line too. Another thing that can cause it, if the cord from the phone to the adapter is bad or loose.. it could be shorting out. another option is if you have a cordless handset. If you have a 900mhz cordless phone, and you also have wireless in the house, you could be getting interference from things like that too. Standard wireless routers run on the 900mhz frequency.

Would you please resist the urge to spam other people's discussions, just for the apparent sake of being conversational?  It's not adding value to the discussions.  Thanks.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 01, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
Would you please resist the urge to spam other people's discussions, just for the apparent sake of being conversational?  It's not adding value to the discussions.  Thanks.

Do you mean like being a bully, calling people names, criticizing their posts for not being to your liking, making fun of their thoughts and actions as they try to participate here and learn, and linking to juvenile commentary on other sites to further ridicule forum members here?  Is this the sort of valueless and demeaning participation you want others to resist?

OE