News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obtain New Number But Want To Port Vonage Number

Started by graybeard47, October 04, 2015, 10:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybeard47

Have received my OBi200 but need to get my ducks in a row before actual hook-up. If I obtain a new phone number thru Google Voice to get me going, does this step keep me from porting soon after my old Vonage Phone number that I have had for a number of years to become my "actual" number over my assigned one?

If so, how do I make the change in the OBi200 system that the old Vonage number is my new assigned number.

Thank you

SteveInWA

Hi:

Yes, you can first try out Google Voice (recommended) with a Google-issued phone number, and then, if you're happy with it, port in your own number.  The Google-issued number will become a secondary inbound phone number.  If you would like to keep it, you would need to pay a fee to make it permanent.  Otherwise, it will be automatically deleted off of your account in 90 days, leaving you with just your ported-in number.

The catch:  Google Voice only accepts ports-in from numbers held by mobile carriers.  Vonage numbers, like other VoIP numbers, are considered land lines.  See this link for instructions on how to get around this limitation:

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

I recommend using either AT&T GoPhone or T-Mobile prepaid for this procedure; don't use one of the reseller (MVNO) carriers.