News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I am out of ideas. No Connection Through Cascaded Routers.

Started by id49636, December 06, 2015, 11:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

id49636

Greetings,
I have and OBi200 that worked up until I swapped my master modem and router about two months ago. I have a cascade router setup where a Belkin N600 is the master (the one I swapped) and a Linksys WRT120N is the slave. The Obi is connected to the LAN of the Linksys. All other devices on these routers work without issue.

On the old configuration I just had to forward the required ports through both routers and it connected without a problem. Now I have forwarded all requires ports and have tried putting the device in the DMZ and neither allows either the **5 setup or the **9-222-222-222 echo test to work. (I am forwarding the ports through both routers as well as the DMZ through both routers).

I have also turned off the firewall entirely on both routers just to see if it would go through. It didn't.

I have a solid green power light, an "active" connection light and the phone light comes on blinking green when I pick up the phone. (I also have a dial tone).

I did delete this device from my account on ObiTalk and did a factory reset in an effort to start fresh and see if that would work. I also updated it manually to the latest firmware.

Finally, I also tried connecting it directly to the LAN of the master router to see if going through the slave was causing the problem. (Tried DMZed and forwarded ports when on master directly). Same result.

I am not sure what else to try. Let me know what you think.
Cheers, Chris~

drgeoff

Obvious question is why have two cascaded routers?  That is just asking for hassle.

But as it doesn't even work when on the master router there must be some other problem.  You shouldn't need DMZ or port forwarding to get a working echo test or an OBi registered on the portal.

Basic things are IP address and DNS.  Get those right and the echo test should "just work".

gsmlnx

Do any of the routers have a SIP ALG (Application Level Gateway) active? If so, it needs to be de-activated.

BenjaminH

It's important that your routers have different default gateway addresses. They cannot all be 192.168.1.1 for example, furthermore they need to be on the same subnet e.g. 255.255.255.0, and you need to statically reserve the gateway address of the next router in-line and set that IP address on the first router as DMZ so it has raw access, configure the 2nd router to point to the next router with the same setting aside from having a different gateway and a matching DMZ. Also router can be setup as a switch; just go from port 4 to port 1 on the 2nd router, do not plug it into the Internet port. Setting it up in this way turns the router into a switch. You can even setup the wireless on them then set them up as wireless switches. Then router 1 will always be assigning DHCP addresses. I'm fairly confident that I know what I'm talking about; but there's a chance someone will rightfully correct something - most likely my grammar or the fact that this is one really long paragraph. My feeling won't be hurt if someone else want's to make it prettier.

drgeoff

Well, for starters 255.255.255.0 is not a subnet.  It is a subnet mask.

Nor do the subnet masks of the two routers need to be the same.

And cascaded routers do not necessarily require the use of DMZ in any of them.

The OP did not return with an answer to why cascaded routers.

FWIW I had a PAP2 running for more than 3 years and now an Obi100 for 1 year, both running fine through two cascaded routers in Japan. The ISP's cable modem gave a 10.x.x.x address to my router's WAN port while everything on the LAN side is 192.168.0.x.  No DMZ, no port forwarding.

(The 10.x.x.x address is not publicly routeable.  The ISP has its own NAT router between that and the internet.  That makes it impossible to reach anything on the LAN from the outside in the usual port forward way but remote configuration of the OBi100 via the Obitalk portal works OK.)