News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 and OBi202 current draw and power adapter voltage regulation

Started by restamp, November 21, 2015, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

I bought an OBi200 last spring and had it in service for several months before replacing it with a 202.  During that time, I had no electrical problems with the unit itself or the power adapter.  Recently, a friend's landline went dead for a couple days, so I pulled the 200 off the shelf and cobbled together a google number for him.  It worked fine... until it didn't:  Turns out the power adapter was turning off and on like a blinker bulb on a Christmas tree.  Well, not exactly:  It would stay on for 10 mins to 1/2 hour, turn off for several minutes, etc.

I have a spare 12V 2A adapter in my bone pile, but the OBi adapter is nicely regulated (its open circuit voltage measures a nice 12.2V).  OTOH the spare I have (from an old Netgear router) has an open circuit voltage of around 15V, although I'm sure it comes down to something more reasonable under load.

So, my questions:

1. How forgiving are these little boxes to poorly regulated power supply adapters?  I hear people say all the time here to try another adapter if they have one with a similar rating, but they never say anything about regulation.

2. Has anyone ever measured the current draw of the OBi200 and OBI202 boxes?

3. Is it worth it to try to get a replacement power adapter under warranty?  I don't want to have to return the OBi box, since it is still running fine, but I also don't want to use the "looser" adapter if it doing so will stress the OBi.

FWIW, for now my friend is powering the 200 from a 12.6V battery on a trickle charger that he uses for emergency ham radio communications and it seems to be very happy with that setup.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

SteveInWA

1)  Nobody here has any way to know how "forgiving" the OBi devices are to power supply voltage.

2)  If the device is under warranty, just open a support ticket and ask them to replace the power supply.

3)  If the device is out of warranty, buy a true 12VDC switching power supply.  Jameco Electronics in CA has the best selection and reasonable prices.