News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Pluging my magicjack- plus into an Obi

Started by njmacman, November 28, 2015, 07:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njmacman

Hi. I have separate working Magicjack Plus, Obi 100, and Obi 200 at my different locations. My question is, is there a way to plug my Magicjack into an Obi and thereby be able to connect the Obi to my wall jack and create 2 lines access from all of the wall jacks in my house? If so, which Obi model will I need? Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

No.

If you mean that you want to use two separate analog telephone lines on two-line telephones, plugged into four-conductor telephone jacks throughout your premises, then plug the magicJack's phone cord into one of your phone line jacks (e.g. line 1), and plug the OBi's phone cord into the other one (e.g. line 2).  Do NOT plug both devices into the same phone line, or you'll damage the units.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-41062-Line-Telephone-Splitter/dp/B0002J2PXY

njmacman

OK, then I can send a phone cord from the L1 + L2 jack to the wall? Thanks.

SteveInWA

You didn't explain what devices you have at each of your two locations, vs. your total number of devices.

Assumptions:

• I'll assume for this discussion that you have one OBi device, and one magicJack at one location.
  • Your premises (home or office) has in-wall telephone jacks, wired with at least 4-conductor wire, with separate pairs of wire for Line 1 and Line 2.  This uses a female phone jack with four gold pins, known as RJ-14 wiring.
  • You do not have any other telephone company's service connected to those wires already (for example, from a traditional telephone company or cable company).
  • You have one or more telephones that have two-line capability.  The phone(s) has/have a RJ-14 jack or two RJ-11 jacks, which use a 4-wire phone cord (or two, 2-wire cords) to plug into the wall jack.
  • You want to be able to use the 2-line telephone(s) with magicJack service on one line, and OBi service on the other line.

If any of those assumptions are not correct, then explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish (how would you like things to work)?

If all of those assumptions are correct, then:

• Plug a phone cord from the phone jack on the magicJack into the Line 1 jack on the splitter.
  • Plug a phone cord from the Phone port on the OBi to the Line 2 jack on the splitter.
  • Plug the male end of the splitter into the wall jack.
  • Plug your two-line telephone's cord into the "L1+L2" jack on the splitter
  • Optionally, plug other two-line telephones into other phone jacks around the premises.

drgeoff

Quote from: njmacman on November 28, 2015, 08:19:22 PM
The only OBi devices with a L1+L2 jack are the 202 and 302.

The only situation where you can plug a magicjack into an OBi is when you have an OBi110 or an OBiLINE. You can daisychain the two by connecting the OBi LINE jack to the magic jack. In all cases the PHONE jack(s) of an OBi and the phone jack of a magicjack must be kept electrically separated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 29, 2015, 03:01:37 AM
Quote from: njmacman on November 28, 2015, 08:19:22 PM
The only OBi devices with a L1+L2 jack are the 202 and 302.

The only situation where you can plug a magicjack into an OBi is when you have an OBi110 or an OBiLINE. You can daisychain the two by connecting the OBi LINE jack to the magic jack. In all cases the PHONE jack(s) of an OBi and the phone jack of a magicjack must be kept electrically separated.

What sort of obsessive-compulsive know-it-all disorder makes you troll my posts?  At least, let the original posters and I have a sufficient set of questions and answers back and forth, before barging in.

We are talking about the L1+L2 jack on the splitter.  Look at the photograph attached to my original answer.  The splitter has a male RJ-14 plug on the back, and it breaks out the two lines into two RJ-11 female jacks, one for L1 and one for L2, and it also provides a female RJ-14 jack labeled ... wait for it, L1+L2.

While not the only way to solve the problem, my solution works, if my assumptions about the OP's situation is correct.  If the OP had some other setup in mind, let's at least let him explain it first.

njmacman

SteveinWA, your assumptions are all correct. Thanks.

Dave781

I own an Obi 202 and an Obi 200.  I have never posted in the forums here but have been around awhile.  Can an Obi 202 and an Obi 200 be daisy chained together? Meaning I want to plug the internet port on the 202 to my router and the LAN port of the 202 to the 200.  My exact reason for this is 4 SP slots are not enough for me. I want both units to operate as if they are part of the same LAN, thus, doubling the total number of SP ports that are available to 8.

Will this work?

Thanks ...

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dave781 on July 17, 2016, 01:54:38 PM
I own an Obi 202 and an Obi 200.  I have never posted in the forums here but have been around awhile.  Can an Obi 202 and an Obi 200 be daisy chained together? Meaning I want to plug the internet port on the 202 to my router and the LAN port of the 202 to the 200.  My exact reason for this is 4 SP slots are not enough for me. I want both units to operate as if they are part of the same LAN, thus, doubling the total number of SP ports that are available to 8.

Will this work?

Thanks ...

Yes, you can do that, although it's unclear if the Quality of Service (QoS) function in the 202 would throttle or otherwise impact the performance of the 200.  I doubt it.  You can simply give it a try and see for yourself.

I'd suggest instead plugging both devices into the same router or switch, instead of daisy-chaining them.  If you don't have enough Ethernet ports available, adding an Ethernet switch to your router, or replacing a 4-port or 5-port switch with an 8-port switch is a very inexpensive solution.

One issue you might encounter, depending on the Internet Telephone Service Provider(s) (ITSPs) you use, is a conflict with multiple service provider configurations on the two devices using the same SIP user agent ports.  If you find problems with one-way audio or failure to register, that would be something to check.  When using the OBiTALK portal to configure SP slots, the setup will automatically increment the UA port numbers on one device.  The other device could likely duplicate those same for UA ports, though.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dave781 on July 17, 2016, 03:22:23 PM
I have Comcast.

And?  Comcast works fine with OBi devices.  Just plug them into the LAN and have at it.