News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 GV

Started by Rustifer, December 13, 2015, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustifer

I can call out but not receive via Obi110 on GV. Any thoughts ?

drgeoff

Perhaps you have not ticked 'Chat' under Forwarding at google.com/voice.

Rustifer

'Chat' under Forwarding at google.com/voice checked.

Rustifer

Via Hangouts, I can call from my cell to the pc. But not through obi110

Rustifer

Can obi110 work with hangouts ?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Rustifer on December 13, 2015, 03:42:04 PM
I can call out but not receive via Obi110 on GV. Any thoughts ?

Log onto your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile device, and look here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Do you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left column, and underneath it is the telephone number people can call to reach you, or, does it say "Access number" or "Get a Voice number"?

Rustifer

Actually, I see 4 words. "Your Google Voice Number"

Rustifer

Been following this self help/troubleshooting guide.

"Check" Google Chat.

1. Sign in to your Google Voice account
    2. Go to "Settings" located on the top right (cog wheel)
    3. On the Phone tab, you will see a "Delete" option under Google Chat
    4. Click "Delete" Google Chat
    5. Open a new browser and sign in to www.gmail.com using your Gmail account. You will see Gmail Call Phone (located on the bottom left corner).
    6. Make a call out from your Gmail Call Phone
    7. Once you have done so, Google Chat should appear again in https://www.google.com/voice#phones
    8. Make sure to check the checkbox for Google Chat.
****************************************************************************************

The problem I run into here is, I am unable to delete google chat. Once I check the chat box select delete, a notification box appears asking if I am sure I want to remove this forwarding number. Yes. (ok). Scroll down, and it's still there. Tried it over and over again. It's still there.

SteveInWA

I said "On the left column".

You're looking at the top of the list of forwarding phone numbers, where yes, it will say "Your Google Voice Number".  So, yes, that's good.

I am going to assume that this isn't some Homer Simpson case of having your telephone's ringer turned off.

Given this is the case, then the likely explanation is that you set up your OBi device while you were logged into some other Google account.  This would allow outbound calls, as long as that account had accepted Google's Terms of Service and made one outbound call, but your OBi wouldn't be associated with the correct account for inbound calling.

The "delete chat" steps you are attempting are wrong.  Don't do that.

I suggest doing this:

• Open your web browser, and log into your Google Voice account.
  • Look at the upper right corner of the web page, for a circle, which will either have a generic blue head and shoulders, or a photo you may have uploaded for your avatar.  Click it.  Notice if it shows just one Google account, or more than one.  Click the button to sign out.  Now, you should be taken to a page to sign in again.  Notice if it offers to sign you into the one and only account that, in fact, holds your inbound Google Voice number, or if it shows a list of accounts.  If it's a list, then click the appropriate buttons to delete all the other accounts (don't worry, it isn't actually deleting the account, just the cookies to remember that account's name for easy sign in).
  • Clear your browser's cache, cookies and history, close the browser and reopen it.
  • Sign into Google Voice again.  Watch carefully to make sure you are signing into the account that holds the GV number, and not some other account.  Go to the Settings page again to confirm this.
  • Leave that web browser tab open.  Press Ctrl-T to open another tab.  Sign into OBiTALK.  Delete the existing Google Voice SPx setup (click the trash can icon).
  • Now, click the SPx slot you wish to use with Google Voice, and set it up again.  This time watch carefully when it pops up the permission box, that you are granting permission to use the correct, same account that holds your number (look at the Gmail address it will display and confirm it exactly matches the address on the GV account you are using on the other browser tab).
  • Test it.  What happens?

Rustifer

Don't think I don't appreciate your help. I do. But this is way over my head. Instead of trying to fix the problem, maybe it would be best if I could just start over. Is there some way to "reset" the whole thing. I can't remember it being this complicated.

SteveInWA

Yes, I understand it can seem complex.  The procedure I described is essentially "starting over".  It is designed to ensure that you didn't accidentally set up your OBi to use the wrong Google Voice account.  If you could print out my instructions, then just follow them slowly, step-by-step, it should only take about 10 minutes.

Before you do that, however, let's check some other "DOH!" things.

Go to this web page:  https://www.google.com/voice#callsettings, and make sure that you do not have "Do not disturb" checked.

Go to this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones, then click the "Edit" button under "Google Chat", and look at the page that appears. Make sure that you haven't set up a Ring schedule that would cause it to not ring on weekends or some other custom setting.

Go to this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#groups, look at the entries in the "Forwards to" column.  Does every row include "Google Chat"?