News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem with Obi 110 adding 2nd GV# ( update: No more Problem, it's fixed )

Started by djjazzy28, December 17, 2015, 07:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djjazzy28

I've had my Obi 110 for over 4 years using GV without issues.
Always have manually setup my Obi with a browser, not
through Obi servers.

Now I want to add a 2nd GV# to SP2 but I get "backing off"
rather than " connected "

So I just inputed GV#2 credentials into SP1 overwriting my
GV#1 credentials and I still get "backing off" not connected.

Re input the Gv#1 credentials into SP1 and I authenticates just fine.

What's up with my 2nd GV #, I've had it for over 3years
and been forwarding it to other numbers just fine
( yes I have Google chat checked)

Any ideas on what to do next?

SteveInWA

I guess you haven't been paying attention for the past two years here on the forum.  You can no longer configure Google Voice using the local web interface.  You must upgrade the firmware on your 110 and then use the OBiTALK web portal to set up Google Voice again from scratch for each of the two SPs.

Update firmware:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.msg66486#msg66486

Set up Google Voice:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

djjazzy28

Thanks for the reply SteveInWa.  My settings were just fine the past 2 years and I haven't had the need to
get tips from the forum.  I did a work around with GV when it was announced that Google wasn't going to support the Obi anymore. So I set up a SIP # and forwarded my GV# to Callcentric's free incoming call service.  That's been working fine, but now I want re add my GV directly to the Obi, rather than forward it to the SIP #.

My original GV# has always been active in SP1 so is that why it authenticates?
and my 2nd GV# which was not active in any SPx the past 2 years will not now authenticate.

So I need to update my firmware, then reinstall GV settings using the ObiTALK portal.
I have many custom settings on my Obi, and don't want to loose them. Will they be overwritten when
I use the ObiTALK portal to setup  GV in SP1 or SP2?

SteveInWA

The old method of authentication to Google Voice accounts, using a stored password, is obsolete, is not approved by Google, and it is a security exposure.  That's the method you are still using on your SP1.  You need to delete that SP configuration entirely.  You can then save your OBi's configuration to an XML file, using the local web page interface.

Log into the device's IP address.  Go to System Management, Device Update, and the Backup Configuration section.  Click the "Use OBi Version" box, and then take the backup.

Upgrade the firmware.

Factory-reset your device, add it to the OBiTALK dashboard, if not already there, and then configure SP1 and/or SP2 with Google Voice as you wish.

After verifying that it works, you can use the local interface to restore your configuration again.  The backup does not contain passwords and will not overwrite the GV credentials.

If anything in your saved and restored backup breaks some function in the current firmware, you will need to factory-reset it again, and then modify your custom settings individually.

djjazzy28

Thanks for the explanation on the old method of authentication for GV.
Did not know this change was implemented.  If I understand this correctly, every time I
need to add or change to a different  GV#, I can not just manually put GV credentials in the user name and password line through the web page interface.  I must use the ObiTALK portal to make the GV credential changes, correct? Will adding GV credentials subject me to the $10 annual fee for Obi access, that I just found out about. 

SteveInWA

Adding or changing Google Voice account credentials must be performed on the OBiTALK portal.  It takes less than 5 minutes, and it is securely protected by encryption.  No Google password is stored by Obihai, nor on your OBi device.  Instead, the procedure uses OAUTH 2.0 authentication protocol with Google, to store a secure access token on the device for each GV account.

You have completely missed the discussion of, or misunderstood the $10 fee.  That fee is only to obtain post-warranty technical support from Obihai.  You can still use the web portal as long as you wish, without paying the fee.  The issue was, that the portal was identifying that devices had downlevel firmware, and, in order to have Obihai remotely update it for you, your device needed to be under warranty, or on a paid support plan.   There was no change or restriction to updating the firmware yourself, nor to using the portal for configuring and managing devices yourself.

djjazzy28

Updated, reset the Obi 110, added my Obi to the ObiTALK portal, and was able to configure GV.
All my GV credentials now work after adding via the ObiTALK portal. 
and SP1 works fine on GV with all my Gv numbers.

Have not done my  custom config restore yet, will report back.

I have a question on the Auto Provisioning.  Auto Firmware Update, ITSP Provisioning, OBiTalk Provisioning all default to Periodically. Should I disable Auto Firmware so I can update manually. What about ITSP and ObiTALK Provisioning?

djjazzy28

Was able to restore all my custom  settings, VG's, AA, SIP account,
as well as add my previous unused GV# via the ObiTALK portal without
issues. All custom settings work just fine, after the firmware update.

Thanks Steve!