News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy audio - trying to diagnose cause.

Started by shawn1122, December 24, 2015, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn1122

I am currently using an Obi200 with both google voice and freephoneline as service providers. Those receiving calls from me regularly complain about my voice breaking up or becoming choppy but my issue is that I have several potential culprits at fault here, with evidence supporting each. I was hoping that someone with a bit more technical knowledge would be able to help me tease out the exact cause of the issue. I figure there are three potential sources for my issue and I have found that there is evidence supporting each...I'm mentioning them in no particular order.

(1) Upstream bandwidth saturation.

I find that the issue tends to occur more in the evening, during peak hours for cable service. When I make phone calls in the morning or afternoon, I rarely get complaints. My internet plan is on cable 15/1. I've been told that 1 mbps is more than sufficient for VOIP, and I've seen the numbers, but based on the fact the issue seems to be worse in the evening I wonder if it is not part of the issue. I have QOS set up on my router but it really should not be a QOS issue since no one else is using the internet when I get these complaints.

(2) Poor service from freephoneline.

The complaints seem to occur disproportionately when I am receiving or making calls through freephoneline. If I call back through Google Voice, the recipient still has to ask me to repeat myself occasionally, but not nearly as often as when I use freephoneline. That being said, if I look at the call status page while the issue is occuring on freephoneline, I see no packet loss, a jitter buffer of about 100 ms and interinterval jitter of 5-10 ms. Really nothing alarming. With google voice the jitter buffer seems to be a little shorter, but there really isn't any other major difference besides that.

(3) DECT handset crapping out.

I'm leaning more and more towards this but I feel like I might be kind of biased since this seems like the easiest fix :P. What I've found is that if someone else is on one handset and their voice is starting to become choppy to the call receiver, if I pick up another handset and listen in on the conversation, their voice sounds choppy to me too. To me that suggests that the handset base itself is receiving choppy audio and then re-transmitting that to the handset I'm listening on as well as to the Obi200. To further assess that, I used the record feature on the Obi100 call status page and the outgoing voice becomes choppy in those recordings too.

If the problem were with freephoneline, wouldn't the Obihai record our voice clearly (prior to the audio being sent out to the internet)? Also, if the problem were with freephoneline I believe we would see a bit more packet loss and jitter buffer issues. But then again, if the phone is at fault, that doesn't explain why the issue tends to happen in the evening and seems to happen less often with google voice.

Any help would be appreciated. I know figuring this out would be as simple as plugging another phone into the Obihai but I don't really have access to one now and it might be a while before I do.

SteveInWA

Hi Shawn:

1)  Without quantitative network testing, it's just guesswork and speculation.  However, cable internet service can be flaky, so this is a good place to look for the problem.  Cable internet service can be impacted by moisture getting into the coax cable, rodent or other animal damage, corrosion on the connectors, a failing cable modem, etc.  The best way to eliminate your VoIP service provider and telephony hardware from the list of possibilities, is to run the SIP VoIP test at this website, using the G.711 CODEC test.  It accurately simulates an end-to-end SIP call between your PC and the endpoint you select.  Other speedtest websites are meaningless for evaluating VoIP.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

A MOS below 4.0 indicates a problem with your internet service.

2)  Certainly possible, as they're not the best provider out there...  My rule:  "you [don't] get what you [don't] pay for."  However, eliminate the other possibilities first.

3)  Definitely possible, and it's the easiest thing to test.  Just borrow some other known-good telephone and test it.  The DECT phones don't typically "crap out", but their included AAA NiMH batteries do wear out.  You can temporarily swap in a pair of fresh AAA Duracell (non-rechargeable) batteries long enough to do some testing.  If the phones display a warning to "charge for 6 hours before using", just ignore that -- it will always say that when the batteries are replaced, regardless of charge level.   Don't put the phone in the charger while it has the Duracells in it!

Addressing your theories about which is the most likely cause, there are too many variables at this point to be sure.  However, if you are definitely and repeatedly seeing the problem get worse in the evenings, it could point to your cable ISP's service.  15/1 is pretty outdated by today's typical service offerings.  It's "fast enough", but suggests that you have an old, outdated cable modem and/or a crappy service provider.  Who is it?  After you perform the other tests, I would suggest calling them to find out what their latest offerings are, and consider an upgrade if available.  Newer-generation DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems do a much better job handling poor signal quality on the coax lines, and if you are leasing an old one, get your provider to swap it for a new one.  Otherwise, you can buy an ARRIS SB6141 modem for about $70.

shawn1122

(1) I got 0.81ms Jitter and 0% packet loss with a MOS score of 4.19, though this isn't currently peak hours for cable internet. I have does this test during peak hours in the past though and it's always shown good results. The chances of it being an internet issue are fairly slim in my book to be honest, but it was worth considering. Unusual that the problem is noticed more in the evening but it's possible that everyone in the household is just making more phone calls during that time period.

(2) Which is funny because I paid more for the "free"phoneline voip unlock key than I did for google voice...and google voice has been the more consistent service for me. Holding off on this one for now, but I might contact fongo support to see if there's anything they can do for me.

(3) It's hard to say. I recently replaced (2 days ago) the batteries in all 4 handsets with rayovac rechargables, so the batteries are brand new. However that didn't really help in any way. Instead, after replacing the batteries a new problem developed...I can now hear a bit of static and/or hissing and popping sounds over the dialtone. When I've had this issue in the past simply resetting the base would make it go away, but that isn't working now. Thinking that something was up with the new batteries, I tried putting the old ones back in but that didn't do anything either. So now I'm not sure if that hissing and popping sound is an issue with the Obi or the phone itself. I guess the only way to find out is to get my hands on another phone. I will also see if I can test the base of the handset in another room. It's supposed to be 1.9 gHz so it really shouldn't interfere with anything but prior to getting voip service it was on the other side of the house. Now it's right next to our router and we have garage door opener right beneath it, not sure if there's anything else that could potentially mess with the signal.

Thanks for your reply, and if you have any other ideas please let me know!

SteveInWA

See the edit I just made to my original answer, while you were posting your reply, with regard to your internet service.

Did you use the website I recommended to perform the test?  Just looking at the statistics on the OBi isn't sufficient.

It seems like a waste of time to speculate further until you replace the telephone.

SteveInWA

Oh, and I guess I have to make an exception to my rule for Google Voice...  Google invests heavily in selecting high-quality VoIP carriers, and monitoring service quality and reliability of calls.  I was mainly referring to the various SIP VoIP carriers.

So:  if Google Voice consistently works well, when freephoneline doesn't, that points to a problem.  But again, you could have multiple (compounding) issues here, and more testing is needed.

drgeoff

You seem to have at least two DECT handsets on the base station. DECT systems usually have the facility to make internal calls between handsets. Do that and see if you get choppy audio or not.