News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bridge obi 110 directly to obi 100

Started by grover59, December 01, 2015, 07:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover59

Ok I am sure this is possible, what I am trying to do is take a plain pstn line plug it into the fxo port of the obi 110. From the 110 we go cat5 or radio link to the obi 100, then the Obi 100 we go to the good ole plain telephone again. Basically creating a digital link between the 110 and the 100 with plain old telephone service on one end, and plain old telephones on the other.

I can't seem to find anything that specifically explains how this can be done, I can't imagine it's not possible with these devices based on what I have read so far. As you may have guessed I am trying to cover some ground, and will be using a wireless link. I really don't see a problem with that either, the latency should not be a problem, unless there is something else I may be missing.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks

Steve

ProfTech

I'm not totally clear on what you are trying to accomplish but neither the 100 nor the 110 have wi-fi [wireless] capability. Also, AFAIK only the 200 series can be configured as a sip server. I did try it and wasn't satisfied with the result, however.  :(

ianobi

This can be done if both OBi devices are in the same router subnet or at least have fixed ip addresses. This example uses two OBi110s, but the "remote" could easily be an OBi100. The example extends a PBX extension, but is no different to extending a PSTN line. I think there's examples of that somewhere on the forum also.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2459.msg33156#msg33156

grover59

Yes all static ip's on the same subnet, should not be a problem, I will look over the link thank you very much...

Steve

ianobi

May need a little tweaking for your setup, but the principle is sound. If you have static private ip addresses, then the obi converts the PSTN to voip and then it can route it to any device with an ip address:port such as another OBi.

grover59

Yes I thought it should be able to be done, I always set up static ip address if I can, much easier to get to devices that way.
I have ordered the obi 110 so it will be a few days before I can play with it, and try and set it up. If it works as I expect it will it will no doubt solve a somewhat serious problem for one of my customers..we can only hope.

I will post again as to the outcome, or more then likely if I need help..

Steve

ianobi

Although the post highlighted in Reply #2 above does work, it does make the remote OBi a very dumb terminal, not even able to access its own settings via "***". Here I'm suggesting a more flexible option, which will still connect directly between the remote OBi and the PSTN line: As always, test by checking Call History to see how calls are routing.

PSTN --- OBi110 ---------- (router subnet) ---------- Remote OBi

PSTN OBi address:port  192.168.1.10:5471
Remote OBi address:port  192.168.1.14:5473

All settings at default if not mentioned below.

PSTN OBi (OBi110):

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 192.168.1.14
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5473
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : 987654321
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5471
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : Anything
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> MaxSessions : 4

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(123456789)>(xx.):li}

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute
{sp2}

If you would like the PSTN OBi's phone to ring as well as the Remote OBi's phone use:
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute:
{ph,sp2}

Remote OBi (Obi110, but could be any OBi model):

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 192.168.1.10
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5471
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : 123456789
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5473
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : Whatever
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> MaxSessions : 4
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: ph

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(xx.S2))

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(xx.):sp2}

Using these settings CallerID should be passed both ways. CallerID of the remote OBi is its AuthUserName, although the PSTN line will most likely ignore this.

The above config also allows for the setting up of backup connections using sp1 and the OBiTALK network.

Emergency numbers should be considered. Any number dialled from the remote OBi, 911, 112, 999 etc, will be routed unchanged to the PSTN line connected to the PSTN OBi.

grover59

Thank you for the post, I just finished the older setup and it works, I came back to this post  just now to report my progress and came across your new setup. I will try that set up this evening, unfortunately I can't do it right now. The only problem I have seen so far is, when I hang up the remote phone the other line stays connected, this problem seems to be only with a land line phone, works fine if connected to a cell phone.

So far it is working as I hoped, just some background, this set up will be used at a remote sporting camps here in Maine. I generally set up phone systems using a wireless carrier such as Verizon or US Cellular. I use home phone connects and run wire to where they want the phone or phones, most generally involves climbing trees. The problem at this location is the systems I have set up have gone bad, no signal, can't seem to solve it. So I now have to move the phone connects about a mile away onto some higher ground. Yes I could run some wire it's only a mile and I have done this before at about 1/2 a mile works fine, however I wanted to see if I could make a wireless link.

I have thought about trying this some years ago, but never did, now I more or less have to. If it works in the field as I hope it will add another tool to the tool box in solving these types of problems. I use Ubiquity equipment for radio links mostly for Internet or surveillance cameras, this should not be a problem. And by the way the home phone connect works just fine with this set up. No matter what I do, or how good the technology is I am still going to have to climb some trees, and it ain't getting any warmer here, oh well sucks to be me.

Again thanks for your post on this setup, I am finding people are very helpful on this forum.

Steve

ianobi

QuoteThe only problem I have seen so far is, when I hang up the remote phone the other line stays connected, this problem seems to be only with a land line phone, works fine if connected to a cell phone.

That's interesting. In the old post I did use 127.0.0.1 as the proxy server in each device, effectively looping the devices back to themselves. This has been used in many configurations and seems to work ok, but I wonder if it means that some SIP messages are not passed. Without setting the whole thing up and analysing a call with Wireshark, that's going to be hard to prove. I'll be interested to see if the new set up works differently as each proxy server in the new post points to the other device and seems more logical. Also, the new post is much more flexible and offers other ways for the remote OBi to dial out, but more of that after you have tried the basic setup.

I see the old post is almost three years old - that's a lifetime in OBiWorld   :)  I guess OBi devices and myself have moved on a bit since then!

Be careful up those trees   ;)

grover59

The new setup seems to work also, however I noticed it takes longer for the outgoing call to go through on the remote unit. Maybe because it has more to process or something, so far so good, I will continue to play with it.
Thanks Again

Steve

ianobi

I have made a very basic error by forgetting the ten second delay introduced by the rule "xx." in the Remote OBi Phone Port DigitMap. It needs S2 adding like this:

Remote OBi:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(xx.S2))

I'll change my original post in case anyone copies it. The "xx." rule in the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute is not a problem.

With the new setup you have more control over the remote OBi. For example, you could set up GV or a SIP provider on sp1 and make outgoing calls by dialling **1 followed by the number.

This may make no difference, but is worth doing on both devices:
Change the Ethernet port on the OBi from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

On the PSTN OBi you can speed up dialling if you have a good quality PSTN line change:
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOnTime: 80
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > LINE Port > DialDigitOffTime: 80

grover59

I have made the changes as listed, and it did speed up the dialing considerable, however when I change the option 27 on the remote I no longer can dial out, it times out with a message, when I change option 27 back to 0 on the remote it works again.

I have tested these units on my home network and they work fine, I have also tested with just cat5 between the two units and again they work fine. Obviously both have static ip's, I don't see a problem with using the wireless link between the two provided I have a good enough signal between the two radios.

I am sure that some would say ok this can be done, so what, well let me tell you this is a big deal to me and possible many people I come in contact with. I can now extend a pstn line many miles if I need to, well at least it looks like I can, can't see why not. This could easily solve some serious problems for many up here in Maine, sad part is I know of no one else even considering this as an option, at least here any way, I am sure someone has done is somewhere else.

Yes I am doing it a little different, I am using a Verizon cell phone connection for the pstn line, however it's not rocket science that is for sure. I wished I would have tried this some time ago when I thought of it, would have saved me this learning curve late in the game, oh well.

I want to thank you for your post and excellent help on this, you have greatly shortened my learning curve on this and as I said opened up some opportunities I otherwise would not have had. If this works as planned this particular customer stands to save a boat load of money, thousands. The only problem I see at this point is the wireless link, it's only a mile it should be a piece of cake, not a lot in the way.

Steve

ianobi

Steve,

Good luck with your setup. You have the basics now to make it work. If you need more info or to solve particular problems, then just come back here - we love a challenge!

You are probably pushing voip to its limits using a cell phone and a wireless link, but that just makes things interesting. Latency is a possible problem with a series of unusual links, but to quote a wise person "if it works, it works"   :)

grover59

Ok I said I would post my results of this project, yes this idea actually worked quite well. I used Ubiquiti 900 mhz radios to make the link and climbed a few trees to get it done but it works very well so far. Can't seem to find a problem with latency yet the Obi 110's don't seem to really care if it is a wireless link, I did expect that because there really isn't that much latency anyways with these links, particularly this one.

However I have one obi hooked directly to one radio on the head end and the other obi is also connected directly to the radio, there are no routers or switches to receive and repeat so no latency there. Now in the future I will be adding some switches and possible another complete set of Obi's to establish another phone, both phone systems will share the same radio link, again this should not be a problem the links shows it's capable of 50 plus megs up and down.

And then I may try and add Internet through this same radio link and see what happens, based on what little I know, or should I say what I think I know, this again should not be a problem, will just have to wait and see. 

Steve

ianobi

Steve,

Seems like a very interesting project. I suspect that you may be the first person to post here who needed to climb trees to get his OBi devices working   :)   I would be interested to hear how the project develops.

A very happy and healthy New Year to you and to all who post here or just read the posts out of interest.