News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

fax receive

Started by robcraig70, December 28, 2015, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcraig70

My Obi line is now working but I can not get the fax to receive.
I have a  Brother All-in-One printer fax.   It works fine on my VOIP phone line but not the Obi line.  Do I need to change a Obi setting?
Thanks to all who help.

SteveInWA

Why would you connect the fax machine like that?  Either connect it directly to a POTS line, or connect it to a reliable VoIP line, but not through the OBiLINE.  The OBiLINE is adding another analog-->digital signal conversion and some additional processing to use the USB serial protocol, and the ancient fax protocol just can't handle it.

rob70

Thanks for replying.
Your talking over my head. :o  I assume a fax can some how be used with the Obi adapter, or can it?  Are there any instructions for connecting it?
Thanks to all who help.

LTN1

Quote from: rob70 on January 06, 2016, 07:59:00 AM
Thanks for replying.
Your talking over my head. :o  I assume a fax can some how be used with the Obi adapter, or can it?  Are there any instructions for connecting it?

Don't use the OBiLine adapter to connect to the fax. Connect it straight to the unit's phone line plug (without going through the OBiLine) to ensure the best chance of fax success.

If you somehow need to share the fax line with the main phone line plug in the OBi, try using a splitter like these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modular-Outlet-Phone-Splitter-Plug-WHITE-DUPLEX-ADAPTER/38754663
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RJ11-6P4C-1-Male-to-2-Female-Modular-Telephone-Splitter-Extension-Cable-Adapter/46536370

drgeoff

Quote from: rob70 on January 06, 2016, 07:59:00 AM
Thanks for replying.
You cannot connect a fax machine directly to an OBiLINE and achieve anything useful.  The socket on an OBiLINE is for connecting to a POTS line (real or emulated).

SteveInWA

What we're trying to say is:

The OBi 200 or 202 that you presumably own has a telephone line jack on its back side.  Using a two-wire, RJ-11 telephone cord, plug one end of the cord into the OBi's phone line jack, and plug the other end into the fax machine.  If you also want to use a regular voice telephone on that line, get a splitter, as LTN mentioned.  Of course, you need to configure your OBi to use either Google Voice or some other service provider, for that line.

Getting fax to work over VoIP is tricky.  If you don't have the technical know-how to discuss VoIP settings on your OBi, then don't expect to get it working reliably.

airberryblue

Being an Obiline simply brings your landline into you Obi device, why not by pass the obiline and just plug your fax directly into the landline?
Myself I use a Obi202 with the fax plugged into the 2nd port, works great. Uses a google voice number.