News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power: How long did your port take?

Started by dircom, January 02, 2016, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

The end of my 2 yr Vestalink promo is in February.  For $3.125 cents per month, the service has been remarkably good and the price, features and website have been great.  However the main website is in limbo right now, and I am thinking of switching to Phone Power @ $5 month.
How long did your port take?

thanks

(After working for two of the baby bells, I still find it quite amazing the price, flexibility, and user control of VOIP.  For everyone who can remember how much long distance used to cost, -even touch tone cost extra in the beginning, I find it quite amusing, how people complain about spending a few pennies a day for phone service.)
   -the price, speed, and availability of internet around the country, is another story-

ceg3

I didn't port and am spoofing my GV number, but I recommend PP.  I signed up a couple of months ago.  What was great was that I was up and running immediately.  I too was a Vestalink customer, but left after the first year, because my locked in rate was not so locked in.  I just used GV for a year after that, but wanted features not available and PP looked good at 60.00 for unlimited.  By the way, that rate is your locked in rate. (hope they mean it) ;D

I remember with Vestalink getting setup was kind of a pain.  PP is a huge concern and has it down.  I called into support one night and I was surprised to learn the state-side rep was in a room with he said about 50 other PP reps.  That was quite the contrast with Vestalink.

I also think back to the days of Southern Bell Telephone when I consider how much time we spend on hold these days with support people, for example.  Back then our long distance bill would be off the chart if we did that.

SteveInWA

From the standpoint of the number porting system, you are porting from one landline carrier to another.  These ports take longer than mobile-->mobile ports.  I would expect it to take at least one business day, and sometimes up to five days.

mrcinaz

I established my PP account on 12/12/15 (the super-cheap ObiHai account) and immediately input a request to transfer our landline number. The transfer request was "acknowledged" by broadvoice.com on 12/16, with a target activation date of 12/21. The transfer was completed on 12/21 per schedule. I calculate that as three business days to get on queue and three more to complete the transfer, total of six business days over nine calendar days. I have no idea how much of that delay to attribute to CenturyLink. I would guess probably most of it.

I have been involved with computers for over 50 years. My local broadband service has had more than adequate bandwidth to support VOIP for several years. I have no explanation (other than inertia) as to why I was so late to pull the switch on the landline. (Over 5 years ago, I actually hosted a private VOIP-based app on a server for more than a year for a client.) 

The switch from landline to VOIP is saving us over $70 per month this year and the phone services are better in a variety of ways. Of course, there is a small reliability hit, and almost as if on cue, our section of the city had a two-hour power outage two days after disconnecting the landline. I now have a dedicated UPS for the power adapters of all of the network gear, including the Obi MTA and the base unit for our DECT handsets.  We are using GV for backup if the cable goes down. Unfortunately we live in a (almost) dead zone for our cell provider.  All in all, reliability is more than sufficient for our needs.