News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi setup with obi1062 and cordless phones

Started by Paul85, January 05, 2016, 10:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul85

Currently I have an obi200 running to a panasonic dect 6.0 cordless with 5 headsets.  I also put a simple rj11 splitter before i plug into the cordless base station and run the other line to a corded speakerphone.  When I use the speaker phone I am able to put the call on hold and use one of the cordless phones to intercom to another cordless phone and hang up after someone answers.  I am also able to have someone pick up a cordless phone and talk at the same time i am on the speakerphone because they are all connected.

I would like to get an obi1062 to replace the speakerphone.  My question is will I still be able to pick up the cordless phone and intercom to another cordless so they can talk to the person on hold.  i understand as i have read other post that the obi1062 does not need the obi200 but how do i get the call to work with both the obi1062 and the cordless phones so when i am on the obi1062 someone could pick up a cordless and also talk.  That is what I am currently able to do with the obi200 and the rj11 splitter.

I have looked through many threads and cannot seem to find an answer to my question.  If this is possible do i need just the obi1062 or do i need more.  Please give me a detailed way to set this up.

Thanks,
Paul

SteveInWA

Hi:

The two different OBi devices (200 and 1062) would operate separately, since they are digital VoIP clients, not analog telephones plugged into the same analog telephone wires as you have today.  You can, however, transfer an active call from one device to another.  When you set up the 1062 on the OBiTALK web portal, you can use the "Link devices" feature to assign it an extension number, as well as assigning the 200 an extension number.  When you're on a call, you can hit the flash key and then dial the extension number to transfer the call from the 1062 to the 200 and its connected analog telephones, or vice-versa.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/obilink

Paul85

Thank you for you clear, detailed response.  Let me ask one follow up and I am good to go.  Can I use the same ubi number on both devices so when my cordless and 1062 both ring when my main phone # is dialed.  Further, will obi show my main phone number caller id when i am calling out on either the cordless or 1062.

Do i just assign the same ubi # to both phones to accomplish this?

Thank you,
Paul

SteveInWA

Please be more clear and detailed about the services you are using on your OBi 200 today.  Are you only using OBiTALK (making calls to another device's OBi number or receiving calls from another device's OBi number, not an "ubi" number)?  Or, do you use Google Voice, and/or some SIP VoIP service provider(s)?

Paul85

Sorry i was not more clear.  I currently I use google voice with a ported old phone number that i direct to the obi200.  With it I make and receive calls at my home.  when i make calls it shows my google voice phone number.  So basically I want things to be as close to the same as they are now.  You have given me the solution to transferring calls to the obi200 from the obi1062.  Now I just want to know 2 things.

1. If when I make a call from the obi200 or the obi1062 will it show my google voice #?
2. When I receive calls from google voice will it ring on both the obi200 analog phones and the obi1062 at the same time so I can answer with either and not have to transfer?

If this is possible please describe it for me.  If this is not possible I will probably replace my current analog speaker phone with another more update analog phone.  I just thought it would make sense to start investing in more sophisticated equipment instead of investing in older technology.  Actually i would prefer to replace my current cordless phones with obi cordless phones but it does not appear they have them yet.  If you have any recommendations for replacing the old cordless phones I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I hope I have been more clear in my description.

Thanks again you have been a big help.
Paul

SteveInWA

Yes to both questions.  You can simply configure your same Google Voice account on both devices (the OBi 200 and the OBi 1062).  Inbound calls will ring on both devices, and outbound calls will show your Google Voice telephone number.  There is no special configuration needed; it simply works.  Enjoy!

SteveInWA

RE:  "OBi cordless phones":  don't hold your breath.  There is no significant market for cordless IP phones.  Several companies that were making them discontinued the products.  Consumers are largely moving to cell phones instead of land lines, and business users typically prefer corded phones, either with or without wired or wireless headsets.  If you prefer cordless use, just stick with high quality DECT 6.0 phones with the base station plugged into an OBi 200 or other OBi ATA. Otherwise, the OBi 10x2 IP desk phones have fantastic speakerphone audio quality, and can use corded or wireless headsets.

Paul85

Just a quick note of thanks.  Your answers were prompt and clear.  Many forums are not as willing to help a "Noob" with such basic questions, instead telling them to do more research.  It was a pleasure being tutored by you and it is much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Paul

SteveInWA

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I am happy to help "noobs" when they're intelligent enough to hold a conversation, and to understand what's being discussed.  I (and I'd say a lot of long-time forum posters) get cranky when noobs are too lazy to read the existing documentation or search for previous Q&A, or too stupid to understand it, or too entitled to take responsibility for their own issues.

Feel free to return here for more, when you dive into OBi-land in more depth...