News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 with JUST Google Voice?

Started by JimLCher, January 10, 2016, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimLCher

After a good bit of research, I've decided to replace my home phone line with an Obi200 and Google Voice.
I know I have to port my home # to a cell phone before I can port it to G.V.  I will activate my previous cell phone on a pay-as-you-go plan for that.
I mostly use the home phone line for voice mail - mostly with businesses like doctors, contractors, etc.
This allows me to use a low cost, low talk,text & data plan on my cell phone (I have WiFi at work and home).

My cell phone is my 'primary' phone. So I don't see a need for any other service, including e911.
Is there anything I'm missing?

dircom

The main thing you will be missing is Caller ID name (CNAM)
You can use various work arounds: CallCentric, Simonics.com, etc if that is important to you
You can also use Google Voice for desktop texting

If something "breaks" you won't have Ma Bell, or Cox / Time Warner etc to call and fix

I suggest you put your router/modem/switch/obi on a UPS
If the power goes out, an old style phone that will work without being plugged in to house power is good to have.

also you will not be missing extra cash out of your pocket every month
Consider donating a % of your savings to your favorite charity

SteveInWA

Quote from: JimLCher on January 10, 2016, 08:39:12 AM
After a good bit of research, I've decided to replace my home phone line with an Obi200 and Google Voice.
I know I have to port my home # to a cell phone before I can port it to G.V.  I will activate my previous cell phone on a pay-as-you-go plan for that.
I mostly use the home phone line for voice mail - mostly with businesses like doctors, contractors, etc.
This allows me to use a low cost, low talk,text & data plan on my cell phone (I have WiFi at work and home).

My cell phone is my 'primary' phone. So I don't see a need for any other service, including e911.
Is there anything I'm missing?

This is one topic where I believe there should be no debate:  NEVER set up home phone service without E-911.  It doesn't matter if you have a half-dozen cell phones in every room.  Sooner or later, something is going to happen -- a heart attack, a stroke, major bleeding, choking on food, etc.  When this happens, people go into shock, and don't think clearly.  Every second counts.  If a neighbor, friend or family member that doesn't know your phone can't call 911 tries to do so, and wastes time flailing around with it... you win the Darwin Award.

Don't be a cheap-ass.  Pay the small monthly fee for E-911 service, and, if your community has Smart 911, sign up.

chilirock

Hi Steve,

I agree with you. Setting up GV without E911 would be a mistake if you are using Google Voice as your main number. I am planning to port my number (currently on VOIP through my cable company) into Google Voice soon. What do you suggest as the best option for E911 only or E911+Caller Name? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

SteveInWA

Hi Chilirock:  the three things in your post have been separately discussed many times in the past on this forum:

1) Porting a land line to GV (see:  http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial).
2) Adding E911 service
3) Adding CNAM service

The simplest solution for GV with E911 and CNAM is the one often discussed here in the forum.  Here's a summary/example:

• Follow the guide to port your land line into GV.  You will find out during this process whether or not your number is in a rate center that is eligible to be ported; not all numbers can be ported.
  • Configure the OBi to use GV on SP1 as your primary line for outbound calling.
  • Obtain a free NY State inbound phone number (a "DID" number) from Callcentric.  Sign up for E911 for $1.50/month.
  • Add the Callcentric DID as one of your forwarding phone numbers to your GV account, and disable Google Chat as a forwarding destination (remove the check mark next to Chat, but don't delete Chat entirely, as it's needed for outbound calling).
  • Configure SP2 on your OBi to use your Callcentric DID number, and select it as the E911 provider.

With this configuration, all outbound calls (except for 911) on your OBi will route through your GV number via Google Chat, and all inbound calls will route through Callcentric and then to your OBi, giving you CNAM.  All 911 calls will route out over SP2 and Callcentric.  You'll be able to test this by dialing 933.  Note that the automated message that plays will read back a different telephone number.  This is intentional, as it is assigning a unique DID for the 911 dispatcher to be able to reach you if your connection drops.

All of the OBi configuration steps described above can be accomplished via the OBiTALK web portal, with no need for "Expert" mode configuration.  When configuring Callcentric via the OBiTALK portal, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link to see the list of other service providers, then select Callcentric, to get the pre-defined configuration parameters.

chilirock

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply. I didn't mean to have you repeat the "how to's" of setting it up. As you mentioned this has been clearly documented in the forum. I should have been more clear in my question.

What I was looking for was your recommendation for providers for just E911 or E911+CNAM. Reliability is obviously the primary concern, with ongoing cost as an additional consideration. Thanks again.