News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 to Obi200 - How to separate into 2 distinct lines with 2 separate phones

Started by Mark27603, January 14, 2016, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark27603

I have had several Obi devices in the past but this one I cannot seem to work the way I need it to. With the Obi202 (which is not GV compatible) I simply plugged one phone in SP1 and another in SP2 and it worked fine. With Ob200 I only have one output for the phone line which I see as a big limitation. To combat this, I went onto Amazon and bought "C2G / Cables To Go 41062 Two Line Telephone Splitter L1 + L2". I plugged each phone into its correct jack but they both ring on the first phone only. The second phone doesn't even ring nor does it have a dial tone. I'm not sure how to proceed. I do not want a single phone with 2 lines on it. I want two distinct lines using 2 distinct phones. I used Obitalk to configure the device.

LTN1

The OBi200 only has one phone port and can only receive one phone call at a time (except for call waiting). While you can configure up to 4 phone services, it comes through only 1 line...one at a time. Seems like you need another OBi202 that has 2 phone ports.

Lavarock7

The Obi200 has places for 4 providers but only 1 phone port for 1 phone line. It will not do what you want as there is no second phone line.

Certainly save the adapter for some other use.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mark27603 on January 14, 2016, 03:58:05 PM
With the Obi202 (which is not GV compatible) I simply plugged one phone in SP1 and another in SP2 and it worked fine.

Adding to the replies above:  yes, of course the OBi 202 is compatible with Google Voice.  You can configure up to four separate Google Voice accounts on one 202, and direct any of them to either of the two phone jacks.

And, that splitter jack you bought converts a four-conductor, RJ-14 jack into two separate, two-conductor RJ-11 jacks:  one for L1 and another for L2.  It needs to be plugged into a jack that actually has all four pins wired in RJ-14 configuration (L1 on the center two pins, and L2 on the outer two pins).

Mark27603

The Obi202 I have is the version before the current version so it does not have GV compatibility.

Mark27603

Quote from: LTN1 on January 14, 2016, 04:33:13 PM
The OBi200 only has one phone port and can only receive one phone call at a time (except for call waiting). While you can configure up to 4 phone services, it comes through only 1 line...one at a time. Seems like you need another OBi202 that has 2 phone ports.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that or think to ask. I just assumed it had 2 jacks on the back like the 202 has since the features said it would support 4 lines. Had I known this I would have bought the current 202 for only $25 more now I will have to buy a whole other Obi200. Suppose I wanted to dial out using line 2, how would I switch so that the callerid showed that of line 2?

azrobert

You can use an SIP device (ATA, IP phone or a softphone on either a smartphone or computer) for a 2nd line on the OBi200.

You can dial a number with an **2 prefix to route a call out SP2 (line 2).
Dial like this: **28005551212

You can modify the configuration to route a unique number without a prefix, like international numbers or a specific area code.

You just have to upgrade the OBi202's firmware to make it GV compatible.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mark27603 on January 14, 2016, 09:19:08 PM
The Obi202 I have is the version before the current version so it does not have GV compatibility.

Hunh?  OBi 20x products have always been GV-compatible, from the very first one shipped.  If you are referring to the time period when Google required that users change their authentication method, then that's a done deal.  Any recent firmware version supports the required authentication method, thus satisfying the requirement.  Firmware downloads are available at no charge here in the Firmware section.

Mark27603

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 14, 2016, 10:19:32 PM
Quote from: Mark27603 on January 14, 2016, 09:19:08 PM

Hunh?  OBi 20x products have always been GV-compatible, from the very first one shipped.  If you are referring to the time period when Google required that users change their authentication method, then that's a done deal.  Any recent firmware version supports the required authentication method, thus satisfying the requirement.  Firmware downloads are available at no charge here in the Firmware section.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I did not know I could simply upgrade the firmware on the Obi202. I just assumed they would make you buy another one much like cell phone manufacturers make you do.

I have upgraded the firmware and now and it's GV compatible. Now I guess I'll give the Obi200 to a friend. Thanks again.