News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 dropping calls immediately

Started by Isindim, December 10, 2015, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isindim

I'm hoping someone in the forum is able to help me, since OBi Support say they "have no idea why it's not working" and seem to think that's the end of their support obligation.

I've been using the OBi202 (provider is freephoneline) for about 2 years without any problem. I purchased the OBi1032 and despite setting it up for freephoneline on SP1, whenever a call comes in it is dropped the moment I answer. When I try to dial out, it will ring (on the called phone) just once, while giving a fast busy tone. I have also set up Google Voice on SP2, and that works fine.

On the Service Provider Setup it indicates that SP1 (freephoneline) is "Registered" and SP2 (Google Voice) is "connected". That is as it should be. I have it set that Incoming Calls will ring on Phone 1, as it should.  My freephoneline SIP Status indicates "connected" and the SIP User Agent shows as "OBIHAI/OBi1032-5.0.0.3223"

I really hope there's some kind person out there with insight who can help, as OBi Support have dropped the ball and provided very little help (the phone is still in the warranty period with support).

Thanks very much!

SteveInWA

Well, don't blame Obihai; it's not their responsibility to help users figure out how to configure every service provider to work on their products.  You bought a device that is capable of connecting to any SIP VoIP service provider that offers SIP credentials, and that service provider needs to tell its customers how to set up their service.

Here's the "do it yourself" guide for freephoneline:  http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090

Note that the guide is written for OBi 1xx or 2xx ATAs, so some of the web pages may look different, but the settings should still be available for you to change.

Isindim

Thanks, Steve: I guess you missed the part where I said I've had (and still have if I connect it), the OBi200 and OBi202 working perfectly with freephoneline for the past 2 years. The problem is the OBi1032. I think it's unrealistic to expect every service provider to come up with a unique configuration for every device that manufacturers may choose to release. If it were a freephoneline problem then none of the OBi devices would work. They do. So since it's only the OBi1032 experiencing the problem (and I seem to think even the OBi1032 first worked when I tested it) that tells me the source of the problem.

SteveInWA

No, I didn't miss that.

There is no significant difference between the 200/202 and the 1032, with respect to SIP service provider configuration.  The same instructions should work for either device.  There's nothing wrong with your 1032, since it works with Google Voice.

I am not a freephoneline customer; perhaps Mango will chime in, as he does have experience with that provider.

My SWAGs are, in order of likelihood:

• You made some sort of error in configuring the 1032.  I suggest deleting that configuration and starting over, following the official guide I linked earlier.
  • You are trying to use the same freephoneline credentials (SIP user ID and password) on multiple devices simultaneously.  I doubt that is supported, as the provider would likely consider it as abuse of their service, unless specifically stated otherwise.  Try unplugging all other ATAs you have, that are also configured to use freephoneline, then power-cycle the 1032 and see if it works.  If so, that would confirm this guess.
  • If they do permit simultaneous registration from multiple devices, there would need to be a way for the service to distinguish which device to use for a given call.  Methods to do this vary.

Isindim

Thanks, Steve, for the help with this - I appreciate the responses. Your link to the guide indirectly helped solve the problem, though I'm not quite sure how. Here's what I did:

• I followed the steps in the setup guide you linked to, but still no change
  • Then I remembered from a long while ago that I had saved the OBi config on the 1032 to XML before I stopped using it. I restored that and the phone once again worked.
  • I hadn't considered your point about freephoneline possibly not liking two OBi devices linked to the same SIP protocol (which I have, with the OBi202 and OBi1032. Both work now, enabling me to make calls, though at this stage incoming calls only ring on the OBi1032, but I can live with that. (For a while I had both devices ringing, but I must have changed something to stop that.) I can play around a bit now, knowing that the XML backup works.
So it was your list that got me to dig around and find the original backup that I'd forgotten about, so that was a big help. Next stage is to try to get the OBi1032 bluetooth dongle to connect with my Logitech H800 headset, but that's a battle for another time, as currently it just hangs on the "Connecting to device" screen.
Thanks again.

Brisk

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2015, 04:52:28 PM
You are trying to use the same freephoneline credentials (SIP user ID and password) on multiple devices simultaneously.  I doubt that is supported

Freephoneline only allows one registration per account, and each account only allows one phone number. When a new device registers, the old one becomes unregistered. This would affect incoming calls on the old device, but not outgoing. It would be possible to ring both devices by placing {ph,pp(otherdeviceOBiNumber)} in the X_InboundCallRoute for Freephoneline in the OBi200 or OBi202, provided it's registered.