News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

imbalance hum with certain sets

Started by Usually_Befuddled, February 06, 2016, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usually_Befuddled

Hi: I have a 100 and now a 202. In both cases, I have had issues with 60Hz as if something wasn't balanced. But it's highly dependent on what set I am using.

If I am using a genuine WECO 500/2500 set, there's never a problem. Since I won't have anything else in my house, this is no issue at home. 
{BSP-NFS forever!}

But sometimes, at somebody else's, I end up with whatever is there. Inferior phones, including a SWB Chinese knockoff of a Trimline, and even a Panasonic KFT-2513 suffer.

Of course I've played games with various mounting cords, etc. to little avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

ProfTech

I think this is more pronounced on the 110 but can occur on the 100/200/202. Not sure of the 212.  It is exacerbated on the 110 because of the POTS line connection. I have one of the early 110's and used it with an AT&T POTS line until about a year ago. Did a lot of research and the only solution I found was to replace the switching power supply that comes with all OBI's with a linear power supply with a transformer. Used a Jameco model 170245 / PWS-37-ACDC and got rid of most of the hum. But if you're looking for a portable solution, good luck. The ones with a transformer are large, heavy, and expensive.

I dropped my POTS line a year ago and installed a UPS. Most standard UPS's do not produce a sine wave so I took the Jameco out and re-installed the original power supply without any problem. YMMV

SteveInWA

You're replying to a three-year-old post, that only popped up again because a spammer posted a reply.

ShazamInForum

Not sure what you did SteveInWA...

That spammer's post has been removed.  Thanks!

ProfTech

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 22, 2019, 10:34:52 AM
You're replying to a three-year-old post
Sure enough...
I thought the removed post looked weird. Oh well no harm no foul. I'm pretty sure the issue still exists, at least with the 110's. Maybe someone else can benefit.  ;D