News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple OBi 100s In Use With Key System/PBX

Started by Steve56, February 27, 2016, 05:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve56

Greetings all,
I use a traditional PBX system at home, primarily to allow for internal calls and multiple incoming and outgoing calls (for other family members to use). Presently, my setup is less than ideal.

Each of the two Obi100s are operating using their own Google Voice account and are connected to the Key System's 2 CO line connections. Placing calls works as expected, although each line has a different phone number--it'd be nice to have the same CID number display for each line. (Google Voice doesn't support this functionality.)

Incoming calls to the first Obi100 ring Line 1 on the key system. There isn't any rollover/hunting/call forward on busy, so if Line 1 is in use on the Key System, the incoming call can't be answered (short of "flashing" the call after hearing the call waiting beep, but that's not something I'd like to do).

From my research, Google Voice supports only 2 voice channels total. Also, Google Voice doesn't support a "busy" functionality, it merely forwards the call to voicemail.

I'm attempting to replicate the behavior of the local telephone company, at least as much as possible by way of VoIP. I'd like very much to have incoming calls to the first Obi ring Line 1; if Line 1 is busy, the call will rollover/forward to Line 2. My options appear limited due to Google Voice's inherent limitations (not complaining--it's free!). Conflicting information regarding call forward on busy and whether or not it works with Google Voice abounds. Basing off what Obihai has stated, call forward on busy WILL NOT work with Google Voice. Yet, curiously, it seems some have had success configuring an Obi202 to institute forward on busy behavior: if the PH1 port is in use, the Obi will direct the incoming call to the PH2 port. Could this setup work as the Obi can see that its PH1 port is in use and doesn't rely upon the the VoIP provider to indicate busy status?

If a rollover scenario can be executed using an Obi202, I'd take to buying several of them, but without knowing, I'd rather not take a costly chance.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Google Voice doesn't support caller ID spoofing, so the caller ID number varies between any of the key system's two line buttons and there doesn't appear to be any real workaround to this. The only solution to this, that I can see, is to use the same GV account on both PH1 and PH2. Is this possible? I'd like to be able to make outbound calls on Line 1 and Line 2 using the same Google Voice account/phone number. However, I wouldn't want both PH1 and PH2 of the Obi202 ring simultaneously since both Line lights would being flashing on the phone system. In other words, I'd like for PH2 to ring only if PH1 is in use.

I'm certain this topic has been covered extensively, but my desired configuration deviates from the usual setup of a person's having two Obis and wishing for both of them to ring simultaneously.

RonR's posting (https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2391.msg15504#msg15504) seems to accomplish the issue of using two Obi ATAs with the same GV account, but not the rollover to PH2 ONLY when/if PH1 is in use.

Any guidance, suggestions, and advice will be of great help. I've reached what seems like a brick wall. Hopefully, with the right advice and equipment, said wall can be demolished!  :)

azrobert

The OBi100 should be able to forward on busy. You need to disable Call Waiting, otherwise the OBi100 will not recognize the busy. The following setup uses the OBiTalk network to forward calls. A more reliable method is to use SP2 to forward calls to the IP address of the 2nd OBi100. This is a more difficult setup and requires defining a dummy trunk on SP2 of both OBi100s. Use OBi Expert to make the following changes.

OBi100#1
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> CallForwardOnBusyEnable: Checked
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> CallForwardOnBusyNumber: pp(200222222)
Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> CallWaitingEnable: Unchecked
Change 200222222 to the OBi number of OBi100#2

OBi100#2
Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph
This is the default, but it might get automatically changed when you have multiple boxes

azrobert

Do you need the 2nd GV number? Do you care which phone line rings 1st on an inbound call before the busy rollover? You can define the same GV account on both OBi100s, solving your callerid problem. When you do this, the last OBi100 to register to GV will receive inbound calls. You would just setup both OBi100s to forward on busy.

Steve56

The only reason for my having a second GV number is for outbound calling. Using the same Google Voice account and number on both phone lines would be ideal. Your suggestion to enable both Obi100s to forward on busy is blissfully simple. It goes to show that overthinking things is my own enemy!

However, I'd like a configuration that is a bit more predictable, so that incoming calls are received on the main Line, similar to that which would be provided by the phone company: if Line 1 is busy, forward to Line 2; if Line 2 is busy, forward to Line 3; if Line 3 is busy forward to Line 4.

Also, as far as I can tell, Google Voice and Call Forward Busy don't mix. Multiples tests by others and myself confirm that Google Voice doesn't support a "busy" mode of operation; it merely forwards the call to voicemail or another phone line. Therein lies the problem with my call forwarding fiasco. One of the reasons why I've been considering the Obi202 is that the "busy" might be handled differently. In other words, the Obi202 is aware of a phone connected to PH1 being offhook and so calls are forwarded directly to PH2 without the aid of "forking" the call via a service provider or ObiTalk.

I'm at a loss right now as to what I should do. If only I could use two Obi100 with the same Google Voice account, but only have ONE Obi100 ring (unless said Obi100 is busy, in which case the second Obi100 would need to ring).

azrobert

I just tested GV call forwarding on busy on my OBi110 and it worked. I know this function didn't work in the past, but it has been fixed. I'm running firmware build 2824 on the OBi110. Make sure your firmware is at least at that level. Firmware versions newer than build 2824 will require the new GV authorization.

My suggestion of defining the same GV account on both OBi100s is very simple solution. You can control which OBi100 will receive incoming calls by simply re-booting OBi100#1. OBi100#1 will now receive all incoming calls until you have an outage and OBi100#2 connects last.

You can just define GV on OBi100#1 and route outbound calls from OBi100#2 to OBi100#1, but this will be a more complicated setup. If you insist on this setup I can walk you thru it.

My suggestion is to take this in steps. First setup the call forward on busy. If this works then we can proceed which way you want. You won't have this problem with an OBi202.

Steve56

I find it curious that call forwarding on busy works with your Obi ATAs but not mine. Just to confirm my suspicions, I reconfigured the call forwarding settings accordingly, and sure enough the person calling into my GV number hear ringing, but Line 2 (the second Obi) doesn't ring. Perhaps the firmware in use on the Obi110 and Obi100 differs in that regard?

I made numerous attempts to configure call forward on busy using star codes and the expert configuration, all with no success. The first Obi100 is running software version 1.3.0 (Build: 2872).

azrobert

The OBi110 uses the same firmware as the OBi100. I tested differently, but it shouldn't matter. I have an OBi200, an OBi110 and a landline. I made the OBi110 busy by calling it from the OBi200, using GV on both devices. I then called the OBi110 from the landline. I forwarded the call to a PC softphone registered to Raspbx.

Did you disable call waiting? How did you make the OBi100 busy? I believe you can't just take the phone off hook, you must have the OBi100 on an active call.