News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

International Calls via GV

Started by sportflyer, March 24, 2016, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportflyer

I know I can make international calls if I log into Google voice and use the soft phone and have enough credits. Can  I use the phone connected to Obi100 instead of the softphone ?  Tks .

SteveInWA

Sure.  OBi devices emulate Google Chat clients, so all calls made via your OBi-attached telephone use the same rates as if you used your computer to make the calls.

sportflyer

So all I need is to add something like $10 and leave it there for the occasional use and there is no monthly charge unless I use it for international calls.  Thanks . 

SteveInWA

That's correct.  No monthly charge; varying per-minute charges depending on the country and type of service (landline, mobile, "special") of the phone number called.

Rate table:  https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates

dsmking

I cannot make international calls with the phone connected to OBI adopter. I can make GV calls using my Android phone. How to configure the OBHI 100 device?. Any help is appreciated.

drgeoff

Quote from: dsmking on April 29, 2016, 08:35:20 AM
I cannot make international calls with the phone connected to OBI adopter. I can make GV calls using my Android phone. How to configure the OBHI 100 device?. Any help is appreciated.
You'll need to supply us with either a crystal ball or much more information.

Can you make any calls with the phone connected to the OBi100?

Can you make any GV calls with the phone connected to the OBi100?

Can you receive any calls with the phone connected to the OBi100?

Can you receive any GV calls with the phone connected to the OBi100?

Have you configured the OBi100 to use GV?

Have you done any configuration of the OBi100?

Can you reach the Obi echo test when you dial **9222222222?  (There are nine 2s in that.)

And why did you tack on to this thread instead of starting a new one?  Your question is quite different from what has already been posted in this thread.

dsmking

Can you make any calls with the phone connected to the OBi100? Yes

Can you make any GV calls with the phone connected to the OBi100?  Not sure

Can you receive any calls with the phone connected to the OBi100? Yes

Can you receive any GV calls with the phone connected to the OBi100? Not sure

Have you configured the OBi100 to use GV? Yes About 5 years back

Have you done any configuration of the OBi100? Yes About 5 years back

Can you reach the Obi echo test when you dial **9222222222?  (There are nine 2s in that.) Don't remember. I will try, when I go home.

I have been using the phone for almost 6 years without any problem, mainly for conference calls. I also have OOMA for home phone for a long time. I want to dump OOMA and keep this phone. Add another OBI device for this OOMA phone. Before adding another OBI device, I want to make sure, GV works for international calls. When I configured the OBI phone for GV, I gave my Cell phone and if I dial the OBI phone, my cell also rang. Hope this helps for answering. I have not done any configuring for almost 5 years.

drgeoff

If you can make GV calls to US numbers but not to international ones there are two possible reasons:

1.  There is no credit in your GV account?  Go to google.com/voice and login.  Your credit is shown bottom left.

2.  Your OBi is not correctly configured.

Either of the above should give you a spoken error message.  Please report here that exact message.

dsmking

Thanks for the quick response.

You are right. The OBI is not correctly configured. I have credit in my GV. How do I configure OBI correctly?.

drgeoff

Obi has its own tutorials at obihai.com.  SteveInWA has instructions at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460.

However as it is more than 2 years since you last configured your OBi, it is probably still using the old GV authentication which GV has deprecated and you will probably be prompted to upgrade the OBi firmware in order to use the new authentication method.  You may get a message asking for $10 now that your OBi is out of warranty.  You can manually update the firmware without needing to pay. See https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10448.msg68840#msg68840.

The GV configuration assumes that you are in the US and sets up the digit maps and dial plans accordingly.

dsmking

Thanks again. I am in US. Call Europe and Asia often. I will try manual updates.

dsmking

I followed the instructions for firmware update. I clicked the link to download. It downloaded. But my system didn't have the application to open .fw file. I am stuck now. I dialed **9-222-222-222. The echo test is fine and I could hear my voice immediately. I can make calls within US always. I can call the phone number of the phone connected to OBI device. It rings. But call is supposed to forward to my cell number, but not doing anymore. I suspect the GV configuration is not OK and I cannot update the firmware. I cannot even go to the expert mode, when I login to my OBI account. Any help is appreciated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: dsmking on April 29, 2016, 06:22:54 PM
I followed the instructions for firmware update. I clicked the link to download. It downloaded. But my system didn't have the application to open .fw file. I am stuck now. I dialed **9-222-222-222. The echo test is fine and I could hear my voice immediately. I can make calls within US always. I can call the phone number of the phone connected to OBI device. It rings. But call is supposed to forward to my cell number, but not doing anymore. I suspect the GV configuration is not OK and I cannot update the firmware. I cannot even go to the expert mode, when I login to my OBI account. Any help is appreciated.

You don't need an application to open the .fw file.  You need to open up a web browser, go to the IP address of the OBi (find this out by dialing ***1 from the OBi-attached telephone), and then go to the System Management --> Device Update --> Firmware Update section, click the button to choose the .fw file you downloaded, click the "Update" button, and then the OBi will upload and process it.

dsmking

Thanks SteveInWA. I successfully updated the firmware. Now I cannot make any calls. I get the message, please go to OBITalk portal and configure. I logged in to my account. I don't see configure option. How do I configure the system after firmware update?.  Thanks

drgeoff

Didn't you read my earlier post in which I mentioned Obihai's tutorials and SteveInWA's instructions?

dsmking

Thanks for the post. I did go through the entire process. I have the following problems
1. I couldn't make a call with Chat instead of Hangout. It always says download plugin in FireFox
2. I tried to add GV as service provider. I don't see an option to add. In the system status, in admin account login, I see SP1 and SP2 service not configured

I am stuck at this stage

How do I add GV service?. How to make call in Chat in FireFox?.

drgeoff

Dashboard

dsmking

Thanks a million. I never got that option till today. When I configured OBI110 in 2011, it was different setting. I played around to get your posted screen and just added the device and hit NEXT and got it.It was just 2-3 minutes to configure. I can make local and international calls without any problem. You saved me 418.xx a month that I was paying to OOMA including 1000 minutes of international calling. I was using only 200-300 minutes a month and OOMA has a block rate for 1000 minutes.

Thanks to all for helping me out