News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there a way to block callers that show up as "UKNOWN" using Obi/Google Voice?

Started by nexus14, October 18, 2011, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus14

I love Google Voice because it has a robust Spam filter that works most of the time. However, there are callers that show up as "UNKNOWN" with no associated number and Google Voice is unable to filter them.

I was wondering if Obitalk has such a feature to block these individuals?

From here:
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~watrous/phone-features.html
QuoteIncoming calls with Caller ID blocked receive a message telling them this line does not accept calls from callers who block their number.

I was wondering if such a feature exists for us?

Many thanks.

RonR

Have you tried *77, which should block all anonymous calls coming in on any trunk?

If you only want to block anonymous calls on a particular trunk, set:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AnonymousCallBlockEnable : (checked)

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AnonymousCallBlockEnable : (checked)

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> AnonymousCallBlockEnable : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> AnonymousCallBlockEnable : (checked)

nexus14

Sorry, I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. As you can probably tell, I was only able to install Obi using the web interface. How does one get access to options to enable and disable the things you listed?

edit: I am a bigger idiot than I thought.

from http://obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm,
QuoteAnonymous Call Block

Anonymous Call Block allows you to block calls from incoming callers when there is no identifying caller ID name or number.  Incoming calls will be presented with a busy signal.  To use Anonymous Call Block, from the phone attached to the OBi, dial *77.  To cancel Anonymous Call Block, from the phone attached to the OBi, dial *78.

It appears I simply have to dial *77 from any phone connected to my Obi. Is it really that simple?

nexus14

Okay, it looks like I found the "expert" settings. I am unsure if the Block Anonymous calls is enabled or not.

Here is a screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939029/obi%20call%20block.JPG

I am not sure which checkbox should be checked.

Thanks!

nexus14

Can anyone let me know if I have my settings correctly enabled for blocking of anonymous calls? I thought it was working fine until I received an unknown caller ID:

EDIT:

I want to add that the above setting DOES work in blocking anonymous calls. I just used an app on my Android device that hides your number (aka simulate an anonymous call). I placed a call to my Google Voice number and my phones did not ring.

However, Google Voice still has a record of the UNKNOWN call but all that matters is that my phones do not ring from spammers:

duncan2k

My service provider is vitelity, anonymous calls show up as "Restricted"
*77 fails to block anonymous calls, same with using the web menus
I've opened a support ticket, this fails on my obi100 even with the latest firmware.

skpv

Hi RonR,
I am wondering if it is possible to block all calls except 3 numbers for SP1 (Freephoneline).
Thanks
SK

RonR

Quote from: skpv on February 29, 2012, 09:30:11 PM
I am wondering if it is possible to block all calls except 3 numbers for SP1 (Freephoneline).

Sure:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {(12345550001|12345550002|12345550003):ph}

VulcanTourist

QuoteIncoming calls with Caller ID blocked receive a message telling them this line does not accept calls from callers who block their number.

If that's exactly what you want, then you might want to read this:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1258.0

skpv

Thanks again, works great for me! Just one weird thing:
one of the number say, 12345550002 is in there in the formula, still call are blocked from this number. However, I am ok with that.....
Have a nice day!
SKPV
Quote from: RonR on February 29, 2012, 09:35:59 PM
Quote from: skpv on February 29, 2012, 09:30:11 PM

Sure:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {(12345550001|12345550002|12345550003):ph}

RonR

Quote from: skpv on March 02, 2012, 09:24:23 AM
Just one weird thing:
one of the number say, 12345550002 is in there in the formula, still call are blocked from this number.

That shouldn't be.  Temporarily put the InboundCallRoute back to {ph}.  Have that number call and then take a look at the OBi Call History after the call is ended.  I'd bet the CallerID isn't what you think it is.  Then put the InboundCallRoute back, using the number exactly as displayed in the Call History.

bobpaul

Quote from: duncan2k on February 29, 2012, 08:20:35 AM
My service provider is vitelity, anonymous calls show up as "Restricted"
*77 fails to block anonymous calls, same with using the web menus
I've opened a support ticket, this fails on my obi100 even with the latest firmware.

I just got this working on my Obi202. I followed this guide to setup a call block list but put 'Restricted' (with the quotes) in the digit map in place of a number. See this post I also use Vitelity and the Restricted calls were driving me up a wall.