News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Noise and call ending

Started by Fablog, July 02, 2016, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fablog

Hi,

I use a Obi110 since 2011. My 2 providers are Voip.ms and Google Voice. Never had any problem but since this week I hear a lot of noise during calls. After more or less 5 minutes the calls end and I need to unplug the power cable. I tried my 2 providers, it's the same result.
I tried with a corded phone, I change the power outlet, the power adapter, I did a factory reset, it's all the same

My best guest is that's a hardware failure. What do you think?

Thanks

Fablog

I opened a support ticket more than a week ago, still no answered. Is it normal from Obihai. Is this support system works? I paid the 10$ support fee few months ago, what a disapointment!

Mango

I have the same.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it.  :(

How old is your device?

Taoman

Quote from: Mango on July 23, 2016, 11:40:58 AM
I have the same.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it.  :(

The same what? Noise on your line(s)? You're one of the best VoIP troubleshooters around so I'll assume you've done all the normal troubleshooting steps.

Have you tried taking your OBi device to a completely different location using a different ISP, router, modem, and network? If so and the problem remains I would think that points toward the OBi device as being the source of the problem and is probably a hardware issue. Would you agree?

Mango

I agree it's a hardware issue.  I didn't try a different ISP but the noise problem can be heard even with a dial tone, while disconnected from the network, and it survives a factory reset.  There are no visible problems inside the unit and unfortunately my level of expertise stops there.

drgeoff

I suspect the DC-DC converters inside the OBi.

A common failure mode of all switched mode power supplies is the capacitor(s) on the ouput of the high frequency rectifier losing a significant percentage of the original capacitance.  The feedback control makes the input side (oscillator/pulse width modulator/switch) work harder to compensate.  The higher currents can raise the elecrical noise which finds its way into other parts of the equipment (Example later.)

A slightly domed top end of the can and/or dried leakage residue around the base of the capacitor are often tell-tale signs that they are not well but lack of these is no guarantee that it is still good.

Eventually there comes a point where the capacitor is performing its task so poorly that the input side has reached the limit of what it can do to compensate.  The output voltage begins to fall from its design value and the equipment becomes unreliable or fails to operate properly at all.

I've had and repaired this problem with several wallwarts, a HP branded (but Benq inside) LCD monitor, a Panasonic DVD recorder, a Sony Hi8 VCR, a powered car mount for a PDA. A Samsung TV also failed with symptoms consistent with the above - I had it repaired under the 3 year warranty so don't know for certain.

My Sony Hi8 VCR was a classic example.  The initial symptom was very noisy sound when playing back some tapes.  I spent quite some time faultfinding in the sound processing section.  Unlike VHS, Video8 and Hi8 use FM modulated audio on a carrier.  Then the Vacuum Fluorescent Display failed to come on.  Voltage readings around that soon revealed they were all too low.  They are generated by a separate little DC-DC converter under a metal screening can on a different board.  On desoldering the screening the distress of a couple of electrolytics in there was immediately obvious.  I replaced all the electrolytics in there whereupon the display came back to life and the audio was working perfectly.  The increased level of interference from the DC-DC converter was confusing the circuit which determined if there was one audio carrier or two.  It was replaying monto tapes as stereo and demodulating the non-existent second carrie, so introducing lots of noise.

The capacitors are tens of pennies.  Unfortunately most wallwarts have welded cases.  They usually don't put up much of a fight against a Dremel and once open, capacitor replacement is easy.  However, resealing the case to an adequately high safety standard is another matter. It is absolutely imperative that the two halves do not separate while the user is attempting to unplug the wallwart.  This may not be so likely in the US but the British style 3 pin plug can sometimes require significant force to extract it from a tight wall socket.

Fablog

Dr Geoff, I'm sure my problem is what you described. There is absolutely nothing I can do to solve this problem. So, what do you suggest I do. I don't have any knowledge in electronic, I live in Canada and I don't want to spend a lot of money to repair it.

Thanks for your help here 😃

drgeoff

Quote from: Fablog on July 24, 2016, 07:20:55 AM
Dr Geoff, I'm sure my problem is what you described. There is absolutely nothing I can do to solve this problem. So, what do you suggest I do. I don't have any knowledge in electronic, I live in Canada and I don't want to spend a lot of money to repair it.

Thanks for your help here 😃
For people who cannot do their own repairs nor have a relative oŕ friend who can oblige, the only choices with out-of-warranty throw-away devices are to buy another one or go without.

The cost of labour means it just costs more to have low cost ìtems repaired than to buy a new one which has been efficiently produced on a production line.

Fablog