News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't Receive Call

Started by tacman7, July 16, 2016, 08:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacman7

I bought an Obi200 about a month ago, joined google voice and everything was fine.

Yesterday it stopped being able to get calls.

The calls show up in Google voice though.

If I call the number with my cell phone and it sounds like it's ringing on the cell phone but nothing happening on the obi. If I answer the phone while I'm calling I get a dial tone.

The 222 222 222 test gets me a recording that my call can not be completed.

Any help or direction appreciated

Thanks

drgeoff

There is no 222 222 222 test.

Do you mean that dialling **9 222 222 222 does not reach the echo test?

tacman7

Yes,

When I dial 9 222 222 222 I get "We could not complete your call, please try again"

All the calls I make to my number show up in Google voice but phone doesn't ring.

I can call out though.

And when I call the phone and let it ring a few times and I answer it (even though is isn't ringing) it doesn't answer the call, I just have the dial tone.

Got disconnected somewhere.

Thanks

drgeoff

If you deliberately or carelessly ignore two asterisks or are not able to report accurately I don't hold out much hope that any further communication between us would lead to a timely resolution of your problem.

tacman7

No, I'm that stupid.

I just wasn't seeing them, I was doing too many things at once.

Now the echo test works.

But still no one can call me.

It was working fine for some weeks.

So that means my hardware is ok and it's a google voice problem?

What should I do next?

Thanks

Taoman

Quote from: tacman7 on July 17, 2016, 07:49:50 AM

What should I do next?

So you can make outgoing calls with no problem. Is that correct?

Under Status on your OBi dashboard your Google SP trunk says "Connected?"

Check that the box next to Google Chat in your Google Voice settings is checked. If it is, uncheck and then recheck it again.

Check your Call History on your OBi under Status. You need to login to your local OBi web interface to see this. Are incoming calls showing up at all in your Call History on the OBi itself?

tacman7

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2016, 08:15:35 AM
So you can make outgoing calls with no problem. Is that correct?

Yes it is.

Under Status on your OBi dashboard your Google SP trunk says "Connected?"

Yes it does.

Check that the box next to Google Chat in your Google Voice settings is checked. If it is, uncheck and then recheck it again.
I had unchecked it trying everything but I rechecked it now.
I also unchecked the forwarding to my cell phone.

Check your Call History on your OBi under Status. You need to login to your local OBi web interface to see this. Are incoming calls showing up at all in your Call History on the OBi itself?

I will have to learn how to see the call history on the obi itself. I get a dial tone while someone is calling me. You're talking about logging in with a browser to the OBI like it was a router?

Thanks for your help, I'll get looking and testing this afternoon!

tacman7

It's working!

So you have to have chat clicked to get calls?

Or what do you think was happening?

Thanks again!

Taoman

Quote from: tacman7 on July 17, 2016, 01:41:41 PM

So you have to have chat clicked to get calls?

Yes, that is required.

Quote from: GV setup tutorialUnder the Phones tab and "Forwards calls to", you must check the box for Google chat.

http://www.obihai.com/tutorial9

Since incoming calls were working previously this means you must have intentionally unchecked the box next to Google Chat. Why did you do this?

tacman7

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2016, 02:39:07 PM
Since incoming calls were working previously this means you must have intentionally unchecked the box next to Google Chat. Why did you do this?

When the phone stopped working it seemed like that might be a choice. I don't use chat, so I tried unclicking it. Troubleshooting 101. TRY EVERYTHING type of deal.

I guess the thing to do is unclick  it then reclick it to get it over it's problem.

It was clicked and not working.

I never saw the instructions, I just went to google voice and got it working.
Thanks for the link. Cool

Thanks for your help.

mcob

My OBI phone doesn't work since I used Project Fi for my cell phone.  Google transferred my GV number to a dummy gmail account and I have installed the new OBI firmware for OBI202.  Now I can make outgoing call but can't receive call.

- Status on my Google SP trunk shows "Connected"
- I've checked and unchecked the Forwards calls to box next to Google Chat in my Google Voice settings.
- Call History on my OBi under Status from local OBi web interface doesn't show any incoming call. It does show outgoing calls.
- I have dial *79 to disable DND (No not disturb)

Could anyone help with me?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: mcob on July 21, 2016, 10:29:49 PM
My OBI phone doesn't work since I used Project Fi for my cell phone.  Google transferred my GV number to a dummy gmail account and I have installed the new OBI firmware for OBI202.  Now I can make outgoing call but can't receive call.

- Status on my Google SP trunk shows "Connected"
- I've checked and unchecked the Forwards calls to box next to Google Chat in my Google Voice settings.
- Call History on my OBi under Status from local OBi web interface doesn't show any incoming call. It does show outgoing calls.
- I have dial *79 to disable DND (No not disturb)

Could anyone help with me?

Thanks!

Hi:

Well, I dunno why you posted in this unrelated thread, but since you're here, I'll give you the newbie free pass  ::)  ::)

Google wouldn't have moved/transferred your number for you.  You would have had to do that yourself.

Fi accounts don't work properly with OBi products, so you need to delete the Google Voice setup you had on your OBi previously, and start over with a new setup of Google Voice on your desired SP.

Please read through my instructions here, and perform the GV setup from scratch. 

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

In particular, if you did set up a new, previously-unused Google/Gmail/Google Voice account and transferred in the GV phone number then you need to make at least one outbound call using Google Chat on that account, and accept the Terms and Conditions, before it will work on your OBi.

Make sure you are signed into the correct Google account (the one that holds your GV number), before going through the OBi / GV setup process.

mcob

Hi Steve, 

Thanks a lot for your helpful information!   I can receive incoming call from via GV on my OBi after check "Forwards calls to: Google Chat". 

My GV number stops working after I activated my new Fi cell phone account with my gmail account linked to the gv (my Fi cell # is different from my GV #).   https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240?hl=en

FI support told me to create a dummy gmail account and they transferred my gv number to that dummy gmail (  I was not allowed to do it myself in this case) in order to receive and male call with the gv. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: mcob on July 22, 2016, 12:53:54 PM
Hi Steve, 

Thanks a lot for your helpful information!   I can receive incoming call from via GV on my OBi after check "Forwards calls to: Google Chat". 

My GV number stops working after I activated my new Fi cell phone account with my gmail account linked to the gv (my Fi cell # is different from my GV #).   https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6246240?hl=en

FI support told me to create a dummy gmail account and they transferred my gv number to that dummy gmail (  I was not allowed to do it myself in this case) in order to receive and male call with the gv. 

I'm unclear about your reply.  Did you go through my instructions to delete your old Google account off of your OBi, log into the new Google Voice account, and add Google Voice again?  If so, what happened; does it work now?  Yes, you must have a check mark to the left of Chat on the Google Voice settings page.  OBi devices are Chat clients, and that's how inbound calls are forwarded to OBis.

mcob

All I did was to check the mark to the left of Google Chat on the Google Voice settings page, then I get incoming call.   I have done the other steps you mentioned before I posted here.   Thank you for sharing us that OBi devices are Chat clients and that's how inbound calls are forwarded to OBis.