News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi-202 Inband DTMF with Google Voice problems - I'm stumped...

Started by clbpdx, July 16, 2016, 02:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clbpdx

I'm trying to get an alarm panel that uses Ademco Contact ID (i.e., DTMF-based signaling) working more reliably.  I properly selected "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line" during OBiTALK setup, but in testing it with an old POTS phone, long DTMF keypushes are heard as short clicks on the far end phone instead of long tones.  I've verified that Expert Menu shows DTMFMethod=Inband, which I would expect to cause both the 202 and Google Voice to leave DTMF tones completely alone/unmolested.

I deleted my 202 from OBiTALK, did a factory reset, and set everything up from scratch again - same problem.  Any ideas or best-know methods on this?
Thanks!

PS:  Yes, I'm aware of risks/caveats associated with VOIP attached alarm panels... :-)

SteveInWA

Fuggedaboudit.  I've tried to get it to work with my Ademco alarm panel, too.  It just isn't reliable enough.  Use a cellular communicator or direct IP connection to the alarm monitoring center.

SteveInWA

Re-reading your post, something sounds fishy, though.

...but in testing it with an old POTS phone, long DTMF keypushes are heard as short clicks on the far end phone instead of long tones.

I tested and confirmed today that the called party does hear whatever DTMF the calling party sends.  I called several different cell phone numbers (T-Mobile and Sprint), using Google Voice on an OBi 202, with the "alarm system" box checked.  Using a Panasonic DECT cordless phone on the OBi, which only sends short, fixed-length tones, the called phone "hears" the same tones...not "clicks".   Using a hardwired phone on the OBi, which will send DTMF as long as I push a key, the called phone "hears" the same long tones.  So yes, it is working as designed.  You might try factory-resetting your OBi and setting it up again, and also trying a different touch-tone telephone connected to the OBi.

Even with this, mine wouldn't consistently have a successful "conversation" with the central station, so ymmv.

clbpdx

Thanks much Steve!
Things seemed really fishy to me also.  For testing I used old/trusty AT&T 210 princess phones.  Calls to my AT&T cellphone result in short chips/clicks, so maybe AT&T does DTMF processing that your T-Mobile/Sprint don't ?!?  This morning I called a relative who has a regular POTS phone, and long DTMF worked great.  I looked at the OBi Call Status screen at about 3min into that call, and everything looked fine (G.711u 64kbit/sec CODEC, zero packet loss, no jitter buffer overrun/underrun) – see attached.

So perhaps this is a general inband GV quality issue that's got nothing to do with DTMF intercept/configuration.  Current symptoms are that my panel typically does 3-4 call retries during periodic/manual Contact ID tests to our monitoring service.  Considering Contact ID specifies 4 retries per message attempt before a call is abandoned, something is still really shaky here.  At the end of the day, I'd like to get autotest calls from my panel to monitoring service always succeeding on 1st call attempt, otherwise I'll suffer costs and hassle of equipment upgrades and/or switching monitoring services to get direct IP or cell monitoring instead.

Anveo (https://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp ) brags about having "The Highest Call Quality:  Uncompressed Audio across Anveo's Rapid Voice Deliver network".  I'm not sure what delta they have vs. GV that would improve simple DTMF transport, but I might give that a try first (TBD) since it also gets me E911.

SteveInWA

AT&T Wireless is the only carrier I don't have a phone to test.

I wouldn't put much stock in Anveo's advertising; "uncompressed audio" is simply the G.711u CODEC, which Google Voice (actually, Google Chat) uses, too.  One issue that can cause these variations is that the ITSPs, including Google Voice, may use different intermediate or "transit" carriers on different calls.  Their switches apply least-cost-routing and other variables to large tables of call routes.  It's entirely possible for a call between the same two endpoints to take a different route from one call to the next. 

We've also been having some recent problems with a few of the transit carriers dropping DTMF along the way.  When Google gets reports of these instances, they have to nag the individual transit carrier to fix the issue, so it is a "whack-a-mole" process.

You can try making a bunch of calls to http://www.testcall.com/222-1111.html to see if it always recognizes your end's DTMF.

If you can try Anveo (and/or other ITSPs) on a per-call pricing basis, vs. signing up for an annual plan, that would be worth experimenting.  Ultimately, though, Contact ID is just not VoIP-friendly.

MurrayB

I very successfully use a Telguard cellular communicator. It uses a data channel to communicate not a "phone" call. I was able to easily install it in an Ademco/Honeywell panel.

Good Luck!

SteveInWA

Quote from: MurrayB on July 17, 2016, 06:33:55 PM
I very successfully use a Telguard cellular communicator. It uses a data channel to communicate not a "phone" call. I was able to easily install it in an Ademco/Honeywell panel.

Good Luck!

Hey Murray, sorta off-topic, but I'm curious to know how much the TG communicator costs per month, and if there is a separate charge paid to TG AND to your monitoring center, or if you pay the monitoring center fee and they work out the cost for the TG service?  Thanks.

MurrayB

Hi Steve

I use Live Watch Security I pay $239.40 annually for complete security: Burglary, Panic, Fire, Environmental (low temp) and whatever else the panel will handle. This includes the central station and the Telguard communication. The system also does scheduled self test that reports back to me via e-mail.

I can do further checking to see how it breaks down if you like. I think that it is $9.95 a month using POTS. The Telguard communication is cheaper then paying for a POTS line, a lot cheaper under today's conditions and more secure.

Murray

SteveInWA

Quote from: MurrayB on July 17, 2016, 09:16:12 PM
Hi Steve

I use Live Watch Security I pay $239.40 annually for complete security: Burglary, Panic, Fire, Environmental (low temp) and whatever else the panel will handle. This includes the central station and the Telguard communication. The system also does scheduled self test that reports back to me via e-mail.

I can do further checking to see how it breaks down if you like. I think that it is $9.95 a month using POTS. The Telguard communication is cheaper then paying for a POTS line, a lot cheaper under today's conditions and more secure.

Murray

Wow, that's a great price!  Thanks.

MurrayB

I bought a Telguard TG-1 Express through Safemart/Live Watch. I think that there are upgraded versions mine is a 3G/4G. Live Watch wholesales Criticom which is a national multi site central station mucho backup.

I hope nobody is upset and think we hijacked the thread it is related to the OP dilemma.