News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Notes on "How DigitMaps Work With Outgoing Calls"

Started by restamp, July 17, 2016, 09:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

Over the past year, I have cobbled together a set of personal notes on how DigitMaps are used to route outgoing calls.  While trying to coalesce them into one document recently, I decided to expand on it a bit and offer the results to all OBi owners in the hopes it might assist them in understanding this part of their OBi's operations.

This is not a first-read document.  It presumes you have at least read the OBi Device Admin Guide chapter on "Digit Map Configuration" and know what the various DigitMaps represent.  It mainly walks you through the details of how outbound validation and routing is done on the modern OBi devices.

If you find it helpful, well, great.  That was the intent.  And, if you find errors in the document, let me know so that we can get them corrected.

The document can be found here:

http://cboh.org/voip/obi/OBiOutboundDigitMapping.txt

I intend to keep the most recent copy of the document here for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy,
Rob

NoelB

Quote from: restamp on July 17, 2016, 09:45:15 PM

If you find it helpful, well, great.  That was the intent.  And, if you find errors in the document, let me know so that we can get them corrected.

The document can be found here:

http://cboh.org/voip/obi/OBiOutboundDigitMapping.txt

I intend to keep the most recent copy of the document here for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy,
Rob

Congratulations on a fine effort. Just a comment on the use of the word "rules" in Phase 1 description of digitmaps. I think a better description is "gateways" and keep "rules" for Phase 2 the OutboundcallRoute to remain consistent with the Admin Guide. A "gateway" will open when the correct combination of numbers is entered similar to a digital lock on a physical gateway.
"rules" are processed in series L to R while "gateways" are processed in parallel.

restamp

Thanks for your comments, NoelB.  I elected to stick with the nomenclature used in the Admin Guide for consistency, which refers to a DigitMap as being made up of a collection of rules (which in turn are comprised of a set of elements).  (See the Admin Guide, page 197.)  The term Gateway might be confusing as it is usually used in reference to Voice Gateways (page 130).

NoelB

Quote from: restamp on July 19, 2016, 12:55:24 PM
Thanks for your comments, NoelB.  I elected to stick with the nomenclature used in the Admin Guide for consistency, which refers to a DigitMap as being made up of a collection of rules (which in turn are comprised of a set of elements).  (See the Admin Guide, page 197.)  The term Gateway might be confusing as it is usually used in reference to Voice Gateways (page 130).

I agree its best to stick to the terms in the Admin Guide . I have read the Admin guide  but forgot it referred to DigitMaps as Rules. I always think of the OBCR as a number of rules but digitmaps as gateways . I guess this stems from the description of Obi-Support2 Reply 11 where he refers to them collectively as a gate which in my opinion is a far better term.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=513.0