News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Lost my GV number

Started by meebers, July 26, 2016, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meebers

Trouble restoring my config

Many years ago, when they still charged for a long distance call, I got a GV PH #1 in a state where I still had family.  The reason was so that they could call a local number, it would ring on my home phone in another state and there would not be any charges.  I had it setup as incoming only, no outgoing.  This has worked for many many years without issue. 

About 2 years ago, I got an OBi200, "somehow" got a GV ph #2, and connected that to a different physical phone wired into the house on line #2.  .  Both systems have worked without issue since then. 

Last week, while trying to make a call on the OBi ph#2 got  " No service configured error"?  The configuration "looked good" and after some reading, discovered that I needed to update the firmware on the OBi.  The update was installed and there is where my original configuration went bonkers. Problem:   Ph#1 is now on the 2nd line physical phone (OBi connection), Ph#2 has been lost.

The original GV Ph #1 is tied to a GV account.  That number shows when I pull up the GV web page.

The OBi GV Ph #2 does not have a GV account? that is why I said earlier "somehow" I got that number.  I don't recall that if during the installation, OBi configuration asked me for location and then gave me a phone #?? in my area.    I wanted some confirmation that this was in fact a GV number.  Tried to add Ph#2  number to ph#1 account, error message said "cannot add another GV Ph# as a forwarding #" , also checked

Freecarrierlookup.com and it also came back as Google Voice p#.

Things that I have tried without success:

1.  Tried some "tricks" while on GV ph#1web site.  It was configured as phone type "Mobile", it was changed to "work"  and  ph#2 configurated as "home"
2.  Tried to use wife's Google account to add Ph#2 with the associated number.  Will not allow me to do that because the number is already in use, don't want to add a new number to accomplish this.

Desired configuration as original,  GVPh#1 rings home phone, GVPh#2 OBi rings phone on line 2 for incomming/outgoing calls.   

Sorry for any confusion here. 

SteveInWA

All of Google's services are associated with a Google account.  Maps, Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Hangouts and Voice all share one user ID/password.

If you created a Google/Gmail account for GV #1, and you still know the user ID and password, and you can sign and see the inbound Google Voice number here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones , then that number is linked to that account.

Similarly, you would need to find the user ID and password associated with the other Google Voice number.  There is no "somehow"; there is an account.  If you don't have any record of the account, then you have lost the number.

If you have written down various email account user IDs and passwords, you can use the tool at the page linked below to have Google send an automated email note to the correct email account that holds the number.  It will be entirely up to you to have kept track of the account credentials.  When you first set up a Gmail account, Google asks you to also add a recovery email address (a different email address to send a password reset in case you can't get into the primary account).  It also asks you to supply a recovery telephone number for the same purpose.  If you did neither, then there is no hope of recovering the number.

meebers

Thanks for that answer Steve, you are 100% correct.  I searched google for how to recover your GV Phone number and after I put in the number it sent an email to xxx.  Glad it did not bounce back.  In desperation, got my old XP machine out of the closet, fired it up and searched the files.  My account was there, signed in because FF remembered the password etc.  The number was displayed as I had hoped it would.  In browsing the settings, the recovery number was taken over by another GV account (Ph#1).  Evidently, only one recovery number allowed??  I have not had to deal with this in 5-10+ years and things just faded away.  I guess I used the google account just for the GV #.  Tx for your help.  p.s.  Made lots of notes on this. 

SteveInWA

Great; I'm glad to hear that you found it!