News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV set up with OBI and land line - can I get rid of cell now?

Started by oilburner, August 10, 2016, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oilburner

Hi - I did a port of my land line to a cell phone and successfully went thru the connection to Obitalk and everything seems to work fine.

I wanted to now get rid of my cell phone that I used to do the original port of the landline but wanted to make sure it wasn't required to stay active or if it is now unnecessary in the mix.

thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: oilburner on August 10, 2016, 03:12:05 PM
I did a port of my land line to a cell phone and successfully went thru the connection to Obitalk and everything seems to work fine.

Let's be clear:  did you perform two number ports, first, the port from the land line carrier to the mobile carrier, and then, you paid $20 to Google, to port that now-mobile number into Google Voice?  If so, then you should see the exact two words, "Your number" on this web page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

If that is all true, then the cell phone is now a brick, unless it is a GSM phone (T-Mobile or AT&TWS networks, either locked to one of those two carriers, or unlocked), in which case, you can save the phone, and swap in a new SIM to use it again with a different mobile number.

oilburner

Thanks Steve. Yes, I did the two-step process, moving my landline # from Comcast to an old AT&T phone I had. I waited until that was active on AT&T and then ported that number a second time to GV and paid the $20. The number works and I have changed settings through Google as well.

I see it in that GV link you posted so I'll just go through the re-unlocking process with AT&T for that old iPhone.

thanks for the help,
bill